Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Copper Soft Jaws for Bench Vise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Copper Soft Jaws for Bench Vise

Ever since seeing on YouTube the copper vise jaws used in Tom Lipton’s shop, I have wanted to make a pair for myself. The soft copper jaws replace the original serrated steel jaws installed on my 4” Wilton bench vise. I used a ˝” thick by 8” by 4” solid copper bar that I bought on eBay using Buy-It-Now. I rough cut the jaws using a horizontal metal bandsaw and finish milled the parts on my modified Unimat lathe and milling head. I duplicated the counterbored holes using the dimensions of the steel jaws. The copper jaws prevent marring parts held in the bench vise and also provides a great heat sink when silver soldering parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Copper Soft Jaws for Bench Vise-copper-one-half-x-1-x-4-inch-vise-jaws.jpg   Copper Soft Jaws for Bench Vise-copper-jaws-4-inch-vise.jpg   Copper Soft Jaws for Bench Vise-new-copper-jaws-original-steel-jaws.jpg   Copper Soft Jaws for Bench Vise-fly-cutting-ends-copper-vise-jaws.jpg   Copper Soft Jaws for Bench Vise-rough-cutting-copper-vise-jaws.jpg  

Copper Soft Jaws for Bench Vise-copper-plate-4-x-8-x-one-half-inch-thick.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Captainleeward (Apr 22, 2015), jjr2001 (Sep 1, 2016), kbalch (Apr 22, 2015)

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Hi Paul Great pair of jaws. I was gonna make some but took the easy way out and used magnetic sign rubber like on the refrigerator magnet type.they get smashed but keep the part from gettin marred. your jaws are better.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Captain,
    Great idea about using the magnetic sign material as a liner in the the vise. Along the same idea, I recall seeing one of the YouTube machinists use small strips of magnetic sign material as a liner for metal lathe chuck jaws to protect parts from marring. On my "to list" is to make "clip-on" lathe chuck jaw liners out of 0.03" thick copper sheet material.
    Thanks for the comment,
    Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Apr 22, 2015 at 09:35 PM. Reason: auto correction cause a spelling error

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! I've added your Copper Soft Jaws to our Vises category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Paul, I sometimes use electrical tape for short parts in the chuck on the lathe when I want the knurl to stay good.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 27, 2015)

Thread Information