Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corn harvester - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,712 Times in 9,874 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Feb 2, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Feb 2, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I don't know why but I can't watch these GIFs. Turned off ad blocker and everything else I can think of. Checked privacy setting etc all to no avail.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Plays OK on win7 firefox with plugins, ghostery, duckduckgoprivacyessentials, ublockorigin, and I typically have issue with webpage loading. Ublockorigin does a good job of stopping all adverts as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    While that is corn, they are actually harvesting silage which will be stored and used as livestock feed, typically cattle.

Silage is defined by the USDA as "any crop that is harvested green and preserved in a succulent condition by partial fermentation in a more-or-less airtight container such as a silo" (USDA National Agricultural Library).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Altair (Feb 2, 2022), Rikk (Feb 4, 2022)

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    I don't know why but I can't watch these GIFs. Turned off ad blocker and everything else I can think of. Checked privacy setting etc all to no avail.
    See if this link works. silage harvester

I am able to do [control]+click on the video and get a menu with these choices

Corn harvester - GIF-screen-shot-2022-02-02-4.15.03-am.png.

I use MAC 10.12.6 with Safari, but I am sure there is a way to do something similar with what you have.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Plays OK on win7 firefox with plugins, ghostery, duckduckgoprivacyessentials, ublockorigin, and I typically have issue with webpage loading. Ublockorigin does a good job of stopping all adverts as well.
    Running Win Vista 7, Firefox, Wisecare, IO Bit. Only here, only on some gifs and only started a couple of weeks ago. Not a geek and has me stumped.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hemmjo,
    Thanks but that is a no-go as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Running Win Vista 7, Firefox, Wisecare, IO Bit. Only here, only on some gifs and only started a couple of weeks ago. Not a geek and has me stumped.
    It sounds like you may have received an upgrade for windows 10 if you have automatic upgrades selected since win7 is no longer supported.
    Have a look see, if you can located your system restore function. then see if there is a restore point just prior to when you noticed you were having problems. be careful though if you have installed any programs or apps after you started having any problems, if you restore to the previous restore point you will loose those newer versions of the programs installed after the point.
    You might also want to look in your programs folder and see if any program self-installed that you don't know about.
    My windows 10 keeps killing off my HP envy pro 6455 printer. every time I receive an upgrade. It will still print an invoice template but none of the text the same way when trying to print off a drawing from my cad files none of the text will print. Very aggregating but sometimes after a couple weeks it will self correct. If only I could run todays programs on the old Fortran OS before Microsoft corrupted the world
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Cattle food.
    I remember doing something like this as a kid on my great-uncle's cattle farm. The corn is a different kind than humans eat, we called it field corn. Not sure of its real name or kind.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    "Field corn" is different than "Sweet Corn" in the amount of starch and sugar. Field corn kernels are also have much tougher skins than sweet corn.

Sweet corn is harvested by pulling the ears when stalks are green and the silks have just begun to dry out. It is used for human food. It must be processed very quickly to preserve sugar content.

Field corn is harvested after the stalks and ears have dried as much as possible, then often dried more before storage to prevent mold. It is typically ground into meal and used for many products for human consumption. Also used for live stock feed as well and various types of alcohol (corn squeezins or moonshine)as well as ethanol production. Both field and sweet corn the stalks are waste and tilled back into the ground or left as ground cover in no-til planting.

Silage can be made from most any type of green crop. Corn is very common as it grows fast and creates a lot of volume per acre. For silage, both types of corn are harvested early, before the ears mature. The whole plant, stalks and ears are chopped up into small pieces, packed into a air tight enclosure like a silo or BIG plastic bag and allowed to ferment some before being used as feed, typically for cattle as they have a very robust digestive system.

Thread Information