Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus and homemade tools

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    if N2 can recombine with O to produce N2O, which according to all the pundits does not cause respiratory distress, that N could just as easily recombine with two O to produce NO2, which does.
    I guess we would've seen some reports finding this would be the case, then?
    I haven't found any studies of this coming outta any ozone generator.

Giving the hypothesis a shot:
    You mean like this: 2 NO + O2 → 2 NO2?
    But then this equilibrium follows : 2 NO2 ⇌ N2O4

OK - this will perhaps not "just as easily recombine" as NO2, as one might assume?

For producing NO2 (rather than "just" N2O4, dinitrogen tetroxide), the "elevated temperatures" seems to be crucial.
    At room temp the equilibrium above apparently favors N2O4 in what's (eventually) being produced.

Positive oxidizer, used (with gasoline) by Crocco* in 1930 for liquid rockets,
    used extensivly in the US and USSR from the late fifties.
    Hypergolic with Aerozine 50, UDMH & MMH, to mention a few:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperg...pellant#Common
    Out of fashion today, replaced by MON because of "reasons":

OTOH: Dinitrogen tetroxide (NTO) isn't something brought from the health store, either:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinitr...o-Soyuz_mishap

I abstain from derailing this thread further, as it pretty quickly would become rocket science,
    but for delving further into THAT area I (again) recommend the outstanding biography of John D. Clark: "Ignition!"
    (foreword by Isaac Asimov - no less.):

http://www.sciencemadness.org/librar...s/ignition.pdf

*Quote from the book on this Italian intrepid researcher (coincidentally a contemporary compatriot of the Futurists):

Coronavirus and homemade tools-crocco.jpg

ATB
    Johan

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Apr 29, 2020 at 02:01 AM. Reason: added wiki link

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The rear facing seats look great, but airlines will never agree as they take up too much space and space is money.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick79 View Post
    The rear facing seats look great, but airlines will never agree as they take up too much space and space is money.
    If the seats are correctly mounted, they wouldn’t use any extra space, but it’s only a CGI concept, so no issues

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1966 View Post
    If the seats are correctly mounted, they wouldn’t use any extra space, but it’s only a CGI concept, so no issues
    Except for trying to get from the window to the isle would be still the same problem seats leaning back and folks with their feet stuck under the seat in front of them, only now you would have to negotiate folks facing in both directions I hate flying in those sardine cans in the first place and sure wouldn't want to fly in one with reversed seating
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Except for trying to get from the window to the isle would be still the same problem seats leaning back and folks with their feet stuck under the seat in front of them, only now you would have to negotiate folks facing in both directions I hate flying in those sardine cans in the first place and sure wouldn't want to fly in one with reversed seating
    So get a train or ship instead Frank. That way you can enjoy hating the trip even more! LOL

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1966 View Post
    So get a train or ship instead Frank. That way you can enjoy hating the trip even more! LOL
    after arriving back in Texas from over seas in 2013 Since the USA never developed a decent rail service like there is in Europe, I decided that if I can't drive there I'm not going.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    after arriving back in Texas from over seas in 2013 Since the USA never developed a decent rail service like there is in Europe, I decided that if I can't drive there I'm not going.
    ��������������������

Thanks
    FAA would not accept rear facing due to 'crash worthy' issues. Also seats would need a whole new certification in that position as they were certified for impact in opposite direction. In my past I went thru certifying modified seats for a client. (Tests at 6G's and 9G's etc.) Also no airline will agree to intentionally fly a 1/2 loaded aircraft for the same price as they operate on a 90% or so load factor.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Coronavirus and homemade tools-3yxm7o.jpg
    Rather fitting don't you think

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Two quick bits today. One is a new use for a tool in the COVID age, and the other is a new tool for the COVID age.

In the U.S., we're dealing with meat supply chain issues, in great part because meat production is very fickle and time-sensitive. At the beginning of the chain, farmers are having to euthanize animals because meat processing facilities can't accept them. At the other end of the chain, large grocery chains are limiting meat purchases for consumers.

How do you dispose of thousands of head of livestock that have to be euthanized? Apparently you use a wood chipper.

The Minnesota Pork Producers Association is working with the team to establish three other composting sites in the state.

“They are trying to find other areas where there are congregations of large swine operations so they can better serve those people with a centralized site,” Crusan said, adding that farmers will have the option to deliver hog carcasses to those sites or compost on their own property.

The hog carcasses delivered to the Nobles County site will be run through the chipper simultaneously with the wood material — a new concept in the hog industry.
    More: https://www.twincities.com/2020/05/0...hington-plant/

And here we have a prototype for the CleaRing - a portable disinfection tool from @pdzethzurich on Instagram. Next step might be to use copper (Coronavirus hates copper), and I wouldn't mind seeing a greater ability to adjust the shape of the sponge disinfection surface, so that it can sponge flat surfaces too, or possibly even pull door handles open.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

AKpapa (May 10, 2020)

Thread Information