Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Corrugated roofing shear - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,900 Times in 9,939 Posts

Corrugated roofing shear - GIF

Corrugated roofing shear.

Previously:

Shearing a long metal sheet - GIF
    Rotary shear - video
    Industrial shear - GIF
    Metal cutting shears - video
    Throatless shear - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 31, 2021)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sure beats a skill saw that I used to use!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,795 Times in 4,212 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Sure beats a skill saw that I used to use!
    Standing there watching the 18-year-old apprentice do the work is how I would prefer it done, but I usually score a line with a box knife clamp 2 pair of vice grips 1 to either side of the line step on one pair and pull up rapidly with the other pair, the sheets will usually tear along the line. it works quite well with corrugated sheet metal from Home gone to pot or Highes not so much for real commercial R panels
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Standing there watching the 18-year-old apprentice do the work is how I would prefer it done, but I usually score a line with a box knife clamp 2 pair of vice grips 1 to either side of the line step on one pair and pull up rapidly with the other pair, the sheets will usually tear along the line. it works quite well with corrugated sheet metal from Home gone to pot or Highes not so much for real commercial R panels
    The key is getting it done. The score and tear works. But I don't like the finish left behind as much. Like you said, Depends on the gage of the material you have at hand. I've used shears, aviation snips. Knife like you, although I just bent it up and down until there's metal fatigue and you have a cut.

Home Despot is up here in Canada to, Lowes as well. Been through Texas in the early 80's when there was record cold that winter. But don't remember Highes. I'll look it up.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The key is getting it done. The score and tear works. But I don't like the finish left behind as much. Like you said, Depends on the gage of the material you have at hand. I've used shears, aviation snips. Knife like you, although I just bent it up and down until there's metal fatigue and you have a cut.

Home Despot is up here in Canada to, Lowes as well. Been through Texas in the early 80's when there was record cold that winter. But don't remember Highes. I'll look it up.
    Highs is my name for lowes, the nearest 84 lumber is nowhere to be found anymore, there are no Minnards, the only other places are a Higgenbotham's and rarely any bargains to be found there it Seams that Pate's hardware& lumber are direct competition for ACE and TrueValue 'novalue' that leaves only Builder's Supply. but that is a 230 mile drive 1 way I have mesquite trees that are 40 feet tall or more with 12" trunks but they don't grow straight enough to make lumber out of so I haven't bothered building a saw mill for that reason. I'm content in burning 2 to 3 cords every winter from just the dead ones.

Thanks
    Highs is my name for lowes, the nearest 84 lumber is nowhere to be found anymore, there are no Minnards, the only other places are a Higgenbotham's and rarely any bargains to be found there it Seams that Pate's hardware& lumber are direct competition for ACE and TrueValue 'novalue' that leaves only Builder's Supply. but that is a 230 mile drive 1 way I have mesquite trees that are 40 feet tall or more with 12" trunks but they don't grow straight enough to make lumber out of so I haven't bothered building a saw mill for that reason. I'm content in burning 2 to 3 cords every winter from just the dead ones.
    OK makes sense. I grew up in a similar area in Manitoba. There's only one large city in the whole province. And we were 72 miles from the outskirts.

I have 7 acres here. Fully wooded. Some poplar, cedar, a few Oak, many Ash that are dying from the emerald ash borer, and Sugar Maples. I am contemplating making a mill. So many ash are sitting and almost dead. I worked on a mill as a young man. ANd periodically on my current property with a contract sawyer.

Kind of special to make your own lumber and use it. But as you say it has to be worth doing it.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    OK makes sense. I grew up in a similar area in Manitoba. There's only one large city in the whole province. And we were 72 miles from the outskirts.

I have 7 acres here. Fully wooded. Some poplar, cedar, a few Oak, many Ash that are dying from the emerald ash borer, and Sugar Maples. I am contemplating making a mill. So many ash are sitting and almost dead. I worked on a mill as a young man. ANd periodically on my current property with a contract sawyer.

Kind of special to make your own lumber and use it. But as you say it has to be worth doing it.
    I have a few mesquite trees that might possibly yield 4 4x4s about 10ft long but it is hardly worth felling one of them for that small amount of lumber when I still probably have 30 cords of already dead trees too small to make even a couple of 2x4s out of but still make good firewood and I'd rather clear the woods of the dead and downed trees as much as possible and root out the saplings so I can get more of the natural grasses to grow for grazing

Thanks
    I have a few mesquite trees that might possibly yield 4 4x4s about 10ft long but it is hardly worth felling one of them for that small amount of lumber when I still probably have 30 cords of already dead trees too small to make even a couple of 2x4s out of but still make good firewood and I'd rather clear the woods of the dead and downed trees as much as possible and root out the saplings so I can get more of the natural grasses to grow for grazing
    Mesquite doesn't grow up here. I looked it up. Kind of like a hard Black Cherry colour. I imagine it to be a bear to split. From what I have read as heavy as Hickory only harder. That is pretty tough stuff.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Mesquite doesn't grow up here. I looked it up. Kind of like a hard Black Cherry colour. I imagine it to be a bear to split. From what I have read as heavy as Hickory only harder. That is pretty tough stuff.
    At certain stages of dryness it will make sparks being cut with a chain saw like dried Bodark but surprisingly the grain is straight It splits about like Hickory I generally cut mine in about 12inch lengths then use a Collans Ax maul to split it with. If it is a fresh cut from a live thee then embed the splitting maul and 1 arm tap it with a 12lb sledge will do the trick but it may take a couple good swings

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 2, 2022 at 01:16 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 2, 2022)

Thread Information