Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corvette camper - photo

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,990 Times in 11,386 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 3, 2019), baja (Aug 3, 2019), Miloslav (Aug 2, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 2, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,813 Times in 4,222 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Well to each his own is all I can say
    Me and a friend of mine used our reenlistment bonuses in early 73 to buy some things neither of us should have, part of mine went to buy a new 72 Dodge pickup with a camper topper Ok that was useful with a wife and a baby. I made a down payment on a large mobile home again not a bad thing, the rest went to buy a barely used 72 Vete for cash I still had a few bucks left over but owed money on the truck and the MH Cecil on the other hand was still single but just barely he blew his entire wad on a brand new 73 vete by paying cash for it. then after he got married a few weeks later and a few months later realized there would be 3 of them instead of 2 He and a bunch of his other friends decided to turn it into a station wagon. I figured our real quick that there was a reason the vete I bought was such a low price and dumped it at the first sucker who thought red was pretty. the Last I saw of Cecil before I came down on orders for Germany he was still driving the morphodite looking vete wagon now I see several of them about the same vintage done similar to his

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Well Frank, that vehicle of Cecils must have looked a whole lot better than that ugly piece of kit. Useful or not I just cant imagine the work done to that vette to make it roadworthy. I reckon a trailer for the camper would have been a prettier choice but some like to stand out. or back!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,813 Times in 4,222 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    Well Frank, that vehicle of Cecils must have looked a whole lot better than that ugly piece of kit. Useful or not I just cant imagine the work done to that vette to make it roadworthy. I reckon a trailer for the camper would have been a prettier choice but some like to stand out. or back!
    Yeah well now there are 1000's of vette conversions and some don't look all that bad as far as vettes go. back then it was unheard of His may have also been a 72 it was just new when he bought it. they made the top out of plywood and fiberglass and used part of the original hardtop in it ripped out all of the soft top rigging and cut a bunch out of the inside as well. I've seen some pic.s that look close to what his looked like but not exactly since his went up higher than the windshield. To me it just looked goofy
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Yeah well now there are 1000's of vette conversions and some don't look all that bad as far as vettes go. back then it was unheard of His may have also been a 72 it was just new when he bought it. they made the top out of plywood and fiberglass and used part of the original hardtop in it ripped out all of the soft top rigging and cut a bunch out of the inside as well. I've seen some pic.s that look close to what his looked like but not exactly since his went up higher than the windshield. To me it just looked goofy
    Yep but not as googy as that one, I bet. May be it had twin V8s for counter balance, ha ha.

Once I read that the vette was the ONLY American made sports car so maybe that one is the overnighter sports version. We could buy kits for the V8 Torana hatch that had a camping tornau/tent for the rear. Dont think it caught on as there were several murders of folk beside the road: I always parked facing down (reverse in) so if the "old Girl" would not instantly start I could clutch start her. Things we do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The other Big 4 have what seem comparable, but intermittently offered. To some, 650hp is performance; getting it around a corner really delineates true performance. In 2018-19, 450hp is all a 'Vette needed. The 'Vette; USA's only consistently produced, always evolving, production sports car. And they just keep getting better. Ante up 60 or 70k, you'll own performance that can exceed the imports selling at 5 or 6 times that.
    Chevrolet had a series of billboards, truly the best of advertising [which normally is my 2nd or 3rd thing to hate] with gorgeous icons like Impala, Bel Air, and Corvettes of course.
    Tagline of Vette billboard?
    "They Don't Write Songs About Volvos"

https://www.chevymall.com/Cruise-Wee.../products/211/
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 3, 2019 at 12:10 AM. Reason: superior link
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    The other Big 4 have what seem comparable, but intermittently offered. To some, 650hp is performance; getting it around a corner really delineates true performance. In 2018-19, 450hp is all a 'Vette needed. The 'Vette; USA's only consistently produced, always evolving, production sports car. And they just keep getting better. Ante up 60 or 70k, you'll own performance that can exceed the imports selling at 5 or 6 times that.
    Chevrolet had a series of billboards, truly the best of advertising [which normally is my 2nd or 3rd thing to hate] with gorgeous icons like Impala, Bel Air, and Corvettes of course.
    Tagline of Vette billboard?
    "They Don't Write Songs About Volvos"

https://www.chevymall.com/Cruise-Wee.../products/211/
    During the 60s here, Nissen etc were trying to capture the Australian public purse: one ditty went "You'll go far in a Datsun" showing the Datsun Bluebird (original not the later version) streaming down Burleigh Mountain on the Qld Gold Coast. They were actually pretty good cars as I remember as a teen working for/at a " Golden Fleece" service station, before & after school, but I still liked our home grown GM Holden products now defunct due to govt non funding assistance but how much funding does a govt. need to do?

Then again, in the UK, wood working cos like "Record" are reigniting "homegrown" industries. I my humble opinion= really great as where will we go after the cheap Chinese stuff & not saying all Chinese stuff is of low quality, but we need to help/support our home industries. I purchased a North American product & a Chinese replica almost indeciferable but the cost diff was enormous as the Chinese just copied without licence. Remember a Spanish co almost sent broke when engineers copied the "Lamello" biscuit joiner but Elu did a totally diff version, quite original in itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    "You'll Go Far In a Datsun". Lol.
    Not IIRC, or ISTR, IRWUA; [recollect with unfailing accuracy]
    Here in the 70's & 80's, gas crisis and first mass import of small Japanese cars, license plate frames began getting text. The two most seen were "Do It In A Datsun" & "Try It In a Toyota". They weren't overtly suggestive, other than to us having well developed social intent.
    But my attention was focused on a sweet thing driving a Fiat 850 Spyder, even smaller. I made her a frame with 3D stick on letters, reading "Forget It In A Fiat".
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    "You'll Go Far In a Datsun". Lol.
    Not IIRC, or ISTR, IRWUA; [recollect with unfailing accuracy]
    Here in the 70's & 80's, gas crisis and first mass import of small Japanese cars, license plate frames began getting text. The two most seen were "Do It In A Datsun" & "Try It In a Toyota". They weren't overtly suggestive, other than to us having well developed social intent.
    But my attention was focused on a sweet thing driving a Fiat 850 Spyder, even smaller. I made her a frame with 3D stick on letters, reading "Forget It In A Fiat".
    LOL! I also remember the old saying "if you can't afford a dodge then dodge a ford" & "Found On Rubbish Dump" & "For Only Real Drivers" , Holden=Holding together by rust. The rustiest cars we (I) saw were Fiats & one Lamborghini "on show" (& chassis' of coastal/beach land rovers copped a beating if not fully rustproofed) : simply not built for our humid climate (about 90 percent of us live near the coast).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 5, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    In my humble opinion - this is just plain - WRONG. Like putting a trailer hitch on a MB 500SL. Just wrong.

Thread Information