Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Countersink Sharpening Fixture

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools

Countersink Sharpening Fixture

I have three different sizes of countersinks that pretty much cover everything I need to do; I noticed a while back that a couple of the most commonly used countersinks were not cutting very efficient anymore and I would soon be making a decision on whether to buy new ones or to make a re-sharpening fixture for the surface grinder, good countersinks are relatively expensive I just couldn’t see paying for new ones which would have been around $90.00 when all I needed to do was touch up the cutting edge a little on the old ones.

All my countersinks are 82° and single flute; I have used multi fluters over the years but the single fluters work the best in my personal opinion, so naturally this fixture was made with a one lobe cam to sharpen only single flute countersinks, but it could be made to sharpen multi fluters easily with the appropriate cams, a three flute countersink would need a cam with three lobes a four flute would need four lobes and so on.

I didn’t want to spend allot of time making this fixture nor did I want to take out a loan, so it was manufactured from what was available on the shelf.
    everything was made from 1018 steel except for the single lobe cam which is hardened 4140 and the aluminum rotating knob.

The cam has a .030” axial movement for one complete revolution of the spindle; this is what gives you your cutting edge relief.

This fixture will sharpen single flute countersinks with 82°or 90° angles, the spindle of the fixture was made to accommodate 1/2” shank cutters, I made two additional collets that was 1/2" O.D. with 1/4” I.D. and 3/8” I.D.holes to accommodate cutters with 1/4” and 3/8” shanks, the base of the fixture is machined on each end with 82° and 90° angles clearly stamped, all that is required to use this fixture is to sit the base down on the magnetic chuck with the corresponding angle you want to sharpen up against the back rail of the magnet, align the cutting edge of the countersink with the cam lobe, then lock down the set screw and sharpen away.

I have included a couple photos of the setup and machining along with a short demonstration video of the setup and sharpening process.

As always thanks for looking and happy machining

Doug

Countersink Sharpening Fixture-1.jpg Countersink Sharpening Fixture-2.jpg Countersink Sharpening Fixture-3.jpg

Countersink Sharpening Fixture-4.jpg Countersink Sharpening Fixture-5.jpg Countersink Sharpening Fixture-6.jpg

Countersink Sharpening Fixture-7.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

asterix (Sep 29, 2022), billd (Aug 27, 2018), emu roo (Sep 29, 2022), Floradawg (Jan 9, 2024), h7eh7e (Sep 29, 2022), high-side (Aug 28, 2018), HobieDave (Mar 19, 2020), Home-PC (Sep 29, 2022), Inflight (Mar 18, 2024), jackhoying (Dec 19, 2018), Jon (Aug 26, 2018), Kevic (Dec 19, 2018), Lets Roger That (Mar 3, 2023), LMMasterMariner (Aug 28, 2018), Metallurg33 (Aug 27, 2018), MountainMan (Aug 27, 2018), Okapi (Aug 28, 2018), PJs (Aug 28, 2018), rayh__ (Sep 17, 2020), SA MAKER (Apr 3, 2019), Shanty (Aug 27, 2018), Sleykin (Aug 29, 2018), that_other_guy (Aug 27, 2018), threesixesinarow (Aug 26, 2018), tonyfoale (Mar 18, 2024), Toolmaker51 (Aug 27, 2018), tooly (Sep 17, 2020), WmRMeyers (Apr 8, 2023)

Thanks

big o's Tools
    Excellent tool,Ive' been looking for one that is not complicated. Most of my countersinks are piloted, they are a pain to sharpen.Think I will try a single
    flute and copy your tool. Thanks for a great idea !

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

MountainMan's Tools
    Great job Doug!!!! I'd like to see the inside workings of this. How exactly did you get it to stop feeding the bit at .030"?
    Dave
    "I have not failed...I've just found 10,000 ways that wont work"
    Thomas Edison

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Nice. If you keep this up I'm going to be tempted to start looking for a surface grinder! :-)
    How did you create the cam?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    nice little fixture. Something like this should be extended to do two lip drill bits. Thanks for the great video.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Once again, nice work & a good video,

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    So ingenious, well done, video explains nicely, thanks again doug

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by big o View Post
    Excellent tool,Ive' been looking for one that is not complicated. Most of my countersinks are piloted, they are a pain to sharpen.Think I will try a single
    flute and copy your tool. Thanks for a great idea !
    Thanks big o
    I like those piloted c.sinks too but like you say they are a pain to sharpen

Doug
    Doug

Thanks

rossbotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Great job Doug!!!! I'd like to see the inside workings of this. How exactly did you get it to stop feeding the bit at .030"?
    Thanks MountainMan
    How it works is the cam has a .030" lift in a 360° revolution at the end of the revolution there is a .015" undercut done with a 3/16" end mill, so beings it's spring loaded when you rotate it 360° it stops at the undercut

Doug
    Doug

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

MountainMan (Aug 30, 2018), PJs (Aug 28, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks rossbotics! We've added your Countersink Sharpening Fixture to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: rossbotics's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thread Information