Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,257 Times in 9,724 Posts

Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Jul 5, 2022), nova_robotics (Jul 5, 2022), Rangi (Jul 6, 2022), that_other_guy (Jul 11, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I bet next time the driver double checks all of the corner locks to make sure they are released

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jul 5, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I bet next time the driver double checks all of the corner locks to make sure they are released
    Do you have a picture of how the corner locks work? I've never seen them up close.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    Do you have a picture of how the corner locks work? I've never seen them up close.
    I don't think I have any pictures of any on any trailer I've owned or worked on will have to dig into my photo's files to check
    But here is a web picture of one. The ones I like are the retractable so when they are not needed they drop down flush with the trailer floor
    This one is fixed non retractable the kind you would find on the specialty container chassis just give the lever a 90° turn the crown rotates and locks in the socket on the container
    Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF-s-l400.jpg
    This one is a flush mount same principle but you push it up then the stub locks in place until the container is lowered over it then rotate the lever to lock it
    Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF-krisry-blr151mk3.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Elizabeth Greene (Jul 5, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    But here is a web picture of one....
    My respect for crane operators just went up a notch. Setting those containers down must be a high tolerance operation. That's an impressive bit of skill.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Ok I did find a picture of a trailer we off loaded one of the containers from that had the locks but I had already jacked up the container and placed my UHMW clad slide blocks under the container.
    Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF-wp_20200622_12_37_52_pro23.jpg
    Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF-wp_20200622_12_37_59_pro122.jpg
    Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF-wp_20200622_12_37_52_proct123.jpg
    We winched the container off sideways rotating it 90° onto our Landol trailer
    Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF-wp_20200622_12_54_33_pro123.jpg
    then slid it to the ground at the corner of my shop
    Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF-wp_20200622_13_15_18_proct123.jpg
    Crane lifts shipping container stuck to trailer - GIF-wp_20200622_13_31_07_proct.jpg

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    My respect for crane operators just went up a notch. Setting those containers down must be a high tolerance operation. That's an impressive bit of skill.
    Some of those operators are sitting in a gondola 60 feet above the ground when they do this as well so it is not like you are standing right next to the container and can see the location, the one saving grace is the locks are somewhat self-guiding and the sockets in the corners of the containers have an inverted taper to them allowing for a little fudge room until contact is made. But they can do this in all kinds of weather even at night so yes they are not just someone walking off the street saying he is an operator They must first sit through hours upon hours of safety and training classes then work as an apprentice operator with a supervisor looking over their shoulder for a period of time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Jul 5, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ok I did find a picture of a trailer we off loaded <<<snip>>>
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20200622_12_37_59_Pro122.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	43190
    I too see, container pockets have potential beyond shipping environment. Frank's picture shows a toe jack, lifting the container to get slides under. Another method uses a 'hook' or lug more correctly on the backside of an angle iron. Lug engages the tiedown hole on the side corners, the flat positions a standard (but large enough) bottle jack. Underneath, those openings make a solid but temporary mount for casters.

There is an organization in charge of shipping container specifications, with dimensioned drawings for all the features in various type containers.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Jul 11, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I too see, container pockets have potential beyond shipping environment. Frank's picture shows a toe jack, lifting the container to get slides under. Another method uses a 'hook' or lug more correctly on the backside of an angle iron. Lug engages the tiedown hole on the side corners, the flat positions a standard (but large enough) bottle jack. Underneath, those openings make a solid but temporary mount for casters.

There is an organization in charge of shipping container specifications, with dimensioned drawings for all the features in various type containers.
    That hydraulic toe jack is just 1 of many toe jacks I have You cannot believe how many tiems it has been the go to lifting device for raising things to be moved especially containers since I can place it at one of the forklift openings lift the side or the end then place either my rollers or slide blocks under them.

This site has many of the more common container dimensions.
    https://tscok.com/shipping-container-specifications/
    There are also land or rail to truck containers not meant for sea cargo these are 48 and 53 ft in lengths but will lock into a chassis designed for a 45 ft container

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Haven't built up certain rigging gear tools yet; especially toe jacks and skates. On the other hand, while the concrete floor is acceptable, there are some heaved joints. Not a proper surface for machine skates. Egyptian rollers; not only far more reliable, but a fraction the amount of jacking to elevate a load.

Getting the big ones indoors occurred with cross country move; off flat bed and past side door left in care of the riggers. I positioned all machines but one big horizontal boring mill. Certainly mapped out everything first to scale, barely diverging from original layout, it was based on staging the offload.
    Working singly, used safe but older fashioned techniques, without slightest form of incident. Laborious, hell yes. One self-taught 'trick'; just like C-clamps, in certain tools, a minimum set is three units.
    Written down, or just visualized, always good to proceed with a pair of plans. One flexible, restrained by one so-called 'set in stone'.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 6, 2022 at 09:35 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information