Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Crane relocating a tree - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,821 Times in 9,923 Posts

Crane relocating a tree - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 20, 2023), Ralphxyz (Jan 20, 2023), ranald (Jan 24, 2023), rlm98253 (Jan 20, 2023)

Thanks
    I wonder how they get the bottom lifting frame out, maybe the opposite of how they got it in there! Nothing like answering an answer with a question, as my dad used to say.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by batchit View Post
    I wonder how they get the bottom lifting frame out, maybe the opposite of how they got it in there! Nothing like answering an answer with a question, as my dad used to say.
    When they set up to move a tree like this first, they will trench around the base install the perimeter frame one side piece at a time to a predetermined depth. then excavate an access area on 2 opposite sides. then horizontal bore from one side to the opposite just above the bottom frame this, cuts through the network of roots and the soil. Remove the drill bit and leave the drill stem in place then move over just enough to bore through with the next until they have created a pad of these pipes or bars then install sides to the pallet to contain the soil. Then at the location where the tree is to be relocated they excavate a pit to the size required, before the tree lowered into its new home, they will pour in a liberal amount of root stimulating nutrients and water, they will then add multiple guys to hold the tree vertical excavate an access area on 1 side, retrieve the bars starting from the center and working their way out equally the weight of the tree and the soil will settle and fill the cavities as the bars are removed disassemble the framework and remove then back fill and water the area frequently with root stimulating nutrients for at least the first few years until the root system has had a chance to take hold During this time the tree will probably lose a lot of its limbs and have to be trimmed. The amount of and frequency the limbs die off will be an indicator of the health and success of relocating the tree. Not all transplanted trees survive due to the shock of losing so much of their root systems, which can extend well beyond the drip line of the crown.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 24, 2023), that_other_guy (Jan 21, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    ... snip... they will then add multiple guys to hold the tree vertical ...snip... Not all transplanted trees survive due to the shock of losing so much of their root systems, which can extend well beyond the drip line of the crown.
    I know what you mean, but this made me laugh anyway. I wonder if the guys get tired of holding the tree?

The bigger the tree, the more difficult it is to keep alive after moving it.

When I built our home in the late 80's I had no trees on the property. Did not have enough money for many trees. Instead I got 100's of seedlings for 25 cents each. I planted them in the spring a year after a guy up the road had a bunch or 6' trees planted. 5 years later, my seedlings had grown to over 6 feet, about the same height as my neighbor. In the next 5 years, mine were double the height of his trees. Same specie tree, Norway Spruce. I did water mine on a schedule, the first 2 years to get them off to a good start.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I know what you mean, but this made me laugh anyway. I wonder if the guys get tired of holding the tree?

The bigger the tree, the more difficult it is to keep alive after moving it.

When I built our home in the late 80's I had no trees on the property. Did not have enough money for many trees. Instead I got 100's of seedlings for 25 cents each. I planted them in the spring a year after a guy up the road had a bunch or 6' trees planted. 5 years later, my seedlings had grown to over 6 feet, about the same height as my neighbor. In the next 5 years, mine were double the height of his trees. Same specie tree, Norway Spruce. I did water mine on a schedule, the first 2 years to get them off to a good start.
    A small 5 acre property I used to own only had a single tree when I bought it. At the time I lived in a mobile home so when we moved it onto the property there was no way to situate it where the tree would be close. So, I did like you. I ordered I think 200 what I hoped were live twigs. Mostly various fruit and pecan trees which should grow and eventually possibly become a cash crop If I were lucky. The rest were a hodge podge mix of trees the arborist. completed the order with. When the several small bundles of twigs arrived with instructions attached to each bundle, I had my work cut out for me. I rented a tractor with a 12" post hole digger laid out a grid pattern orchard style for the fruit trees then again for the pecan trees for the rest of the trees they I drilled holes in a random non uniform pattern. I drilled every hole as deep as the auger would go then back filled and tamped down the fill with a mix of root growth stimulating fertilizer. horse stable clean out, sandy loam, and the dirt that was removed form the hole until I had reached the proper depth for planting the twigs or about 6 to 10 inches The instructions on many of the twigs stated I only needed to dig and fill a hole of about 12 inches. But is you have the tools why not disturb the rocky black clay and add some extra nutrients while your at it I thought. The place I bought my twigs from must have figured on a 30% loss because I wound up drilling about 260 holes. 7 years later when I sold the property. some of the fruit trees had been producing a small amount for a couple of years Some of the twigs turned out to be just that, but by far more lived and grew than died or never started 20 years later the back of that property looked like the beginnings of a small forest while the front is a mostly aging or dying orchard, save for the pecan Apple, pear. and a thicket of plum trees. the folks who bought it never spent the time to tend to the young fruit trees like they could have. I haven't seen the place in nealy 15 years so have no Idea what it looks like now I guess I could pull it up on google maps if I really cared.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    "Grow your share of fresh air, Plant Trees"

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    "Grow your share of fresh air, Plant Trees"
    I read somewhere that a single large tree can absorb something like 50 lbs of CO2 per year and an acre of trees give off enough oxygen for several people to breathe.
    Found it
    https://www.thoughtco.com/how-much-o...produce-606785
    But I also think the amount of deforestation could be a major contributing factor in how the climate alarmist are skewing their data about how the climate health is affected. I wonder how many trees have to be cut down each year to mine the rare earths or special metals used in so called cleaner alternative. energy sources pr electric vehicles, versus how many need to be cut down to drill oil and gas wells. How many trees are needlessly cut down to make new roads or extract something like gold a metal that has very limited real use value as we know it today.
    Of course we can't take a single web site or even dozens of web sites to find answers but here are a couple on deforestation versus reforestation.
    https://www.gotreequotes.com/how-man...own-each-year/
    https://ourworldindata.org/deforestation

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I wonder how many trees have to be cut down each year to mine the rare earths or special metals used in so called cleaner alternative.
    This reminds me of the concern about cutting down rainforests to plant biofuel crops.

Also, the obfuscation around the "houseplants create clean air" argument. I like houseplants, but you would need to live in a greenhouse for them to have a significant effect on mitigating CO2 or VOCs.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Our Australian tubestock trees do exactly that. Interesting that many can be planted deeper than the tube(branches removed) and these develop many more roots than those planted at "correct tube depth" and are stronger as science is beginning to learn.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information