Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Crankshaft journal polisher - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,713 Times in 9,875 Posts

Crankshaft journal polisher - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Dec 16, 2021), desbromilow (Dec 16, 2021), johncg (Dec 17, 2021), mdhatter3 (Dec 16, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Since that process is making sparks, I am thinking that is not just polishing. What kind of tolerance can be held with that belt in place vs a wheel?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Rikk's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Since that process is making sparks, I am thinking that is not just polishing. What kind of tolerance can be held with that belt in place vs a wheel?
    Most likely they are just taking off a few .0001" or so. I believe it's one of those experience things where the guy knows how long to polish to just out a better surface finish on the journal. Quite adequate for most engines.

I prefer to polish them further to a mirror finish after the machine shop is done with them for racing and heavy duty use. I can't say that it makes a bit of difference, but I have had race engines that showed some wear on the bearings, and the crank was still perfect, so it must do something.

My line of thought was that if you take a piece of chalk and a chalkboard, the board is very smooth, yet the chalk sticks to the fine imperfections of the board. Now try to write with the same chalk on a piece of glass, you get nothing. The bearings are softer than the crank journals, somewhat like the chalk, so if you have a glass finish on the crank journals, it should help if you ever have an oiling issue or the engine is abused in racing conditions.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information