Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Crest for 3”scale Foden Steam Wagon.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Crest for 3”scale Foden Steam Wagon.

Hi All
    Not a tool but hopefully will be of interest to a few HMT subscribers.

This was made from an etched brass plate purchased from the original Reeves model engineering supplier at Birmingham, England. Roughly 30 plus years ago (so almost an antique )

The model is a long way off from requiring this part but what is the saying “sometimes a change is as good as a rest” (I think that is right)

I also thought it might be a nice challenge as a lot of these models don’t have these fitted.

The brass sheet was firstly drilled at the relevant positions with my homemade drill. These piercing holes were needed to allow the blade to be placed through the material. The next operation was to rough cut the basic shape on the guillotine.

The fretsaw I used was originally my father’s and has been in storage in my sister’s garden shed. So after a day of maintenance and adjustments the saw was ready to cut the 1.2mm brass sheet.

This was a time consuming exercise and the use of good light and magnifying glasses made the job a lot easier. Once all the internal cutouts were finished the profile was cut.

A bracket was made and silver soldered to the back it the crest which was then dipped into my sulphuric acid/water bath to clean up the remaining flux. Unfortunately what I didn’t take in to consideration was the fact that the back of the material had been exposed to a photoresist and etched a small area away at the back. As the original would have been a casting I wasn’t to unhappy that the back was no longer perfectly flat.

After a final clean up the crest was painted and will be lacquered. The back and bracket will be painted with black paint to finish.

The photos below show the Crest
    Crest for 3”scale Foden Steam Wagon.-8fb421f6-9753-4664-8e42-a6e4edbe64c4.jpegFretsaw used to cut crest

Crest for 3”scale Foden Steam Wagon.-f9c2b2fb-6f44-4c00-8d9c-6a5721f38487.jpegSlowly cutting out the crest.

Crest for 3”scale Foden Steam Wagon.-367c10b8-629b-4715-a321-8a12a7a9206b.jpegCrest bracket which will attach to the smoke box chimney saddle

Crest for 3”scale Foden Steam Wagon.-30b91af8-1630-4eb6-b24c-bd277073108e.jpegSilver soldered bracket

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC78D6B0-7227-4A38-819F-C3E95D049859.jpeg 
Views:	252 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	44453 First coat of paint

Crest for 3”scale Foden Steam Wagon.-8ac5ac5c-323f-4992-af80-1c2e9d48d333.jpeg Almost finished needs small amount of paint cleaning off and another coat of paint and lacquer.

Hopefully this will be nice prominent part at the front of the engine, once engine is finished.

Thank you for viewing

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Dec 23, 2022 at 05:18 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

mklotz (Dec 24, 2022), Philip Davies (Dec 27, 2022)

Thread Information