Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Customized Clamps for Welding Table

Supporting Member MetalDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools

Customized Clamps for Welding Table

When making my welding table I drilled holes in the top to allow the vise to be bolted-down anywhere on the table. The holes also allow me to mount items like the Table-Top Band Saw Mount (Previously Posted) as-well-as these customized Vise-Grip type clamps.

Customized Clamps for Welding Table-welding-gantry-1.jpg

When welding items together it is very helpful to be able to clamp items in the center of the table as-well-as the sides of the table. Therefore, I cut the ends off of several inexpensive ‘Swivel Pad’ vice-grip type clamps purchased for $5 from ‘Harbor-Freight Tools‘ and welded them to some scrap metal 1″ square tubing.

Customized Clamps for Welding Table-metal_clamps_01.jpg

Prior to welding the cut-off clamps to the 1" Square tubing, I drilled a 1/2" hole completely through the tubing and then welded a 1/2" nut over the top hole.

Then used the same type of 1/2" Threaded Rod (That can be purchased from LOWES or Home Depot) for mounting the portable band saw on the welding table to hold these customized metal clamps on the table top.

Customized Clamps for Welding Table-metal_clamps_02.jpg

By stacking scrap metal blocks (with holes drilled in them) under the clamps, I can easily clamp items of different heights by using a 1/2" nut threaded under the tabletop.

I have already had the opportunity to use these on a project that required a full length 24″ Threaded Rod to hold a very tall item on the table.

Customized Clamps for Welding Table-metal_clamps_03.jpg

I have lots of extra clamps when needed and while very simple to make - so far - they have worked great!

Customized Clamps for Welding Table-metal_clamps_04.jpg

CHEERS!!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Dec 8, 2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Tried to ad TAGs but not an option in edit??

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MetalDesigner For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Sep 22, 2015), hansgoudzwaard (Jul 10, 2019), kbalch (Dec 9, 2013), ncollar (May 21, 2016), Paul Jones (Sep 23, 2015), that_other_guy (Jul 30, 2020), tonyfoale (Nov 4, 2017), Workshopshed (Sep 23, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks MetalDesigner! I've added your Welding Table Clamps to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: MetalDesigner's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Manitoba Man's Tools
    Thanks M. Designer for the clamp ideas. I need to make up a few of those. Keep up making and presenting
    the cool tools.

Bob from Canada

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    The clamps are helpful :-) Used them for a lot of projects : https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.com/

Need to go buy a few more of those inexpensive clamps from Harbor Freight to make up a few more modified ones ... Seems like never have enough :-) CHEERS!!

Thanks

jotasierra's Tools
    Gracias M. por el aporte, muy ingenioso el sistema, y con las mordazas sobrantes puedes hacer una prensa para carpintería.

Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    Gracias

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information