Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cutting a 7 inch round in a 6 x 4 bandsaw!

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Lightbulb Cutting a 7 inch round in a 6 x 4 bandsaw!

Here's something I just got done and figured it would be a good tip/trick for the group.

If you have a piece of stock bigger than your band saw, sometimes there's a way to still get the job done! It's called ingenuity! lol

I needed to cut a slab off this 7 inch diameter 6061 round stock but my saw is a H.F 6 x 4 inch.

I came up with a plan and it worked great! It did take me 3 days to cut through it but I was only working about 5 minutes at a time here and there because it was boring as hell. Total cut time was probably 45-60 minutes but that's a ball park estimate.

First I tuned up the saw getting it to cut as straight as I could. Then installed a new 10 tooth blade, removed the fixed front fence, the rear adjustable fence and put down a piece of metal plate. Then using angle blocks I made for my mill, I clamped the part down using a line I drew around the stock to line it up with the blade.

I would cut for a while and then rotate the part so it wasn't cutting through a lot of material. That actually speeds things up but also helped me to make a more accurate cut. I just kept cutting and rotating. Once you get an initial kerf cut, it's easy to just rotate and re-clamp. I kept the one angle block secured and never moved it until the job was done.

I have over 8 inches of space between the guides on my saw so I think this would work up to 8 inches. (not in a hurry to try it however) I'm just glad this is DONE!!! Best part is with a square, it was only 1/16" off!

Cutting a 7 inch round in a 6 x 4 bandsaw!-dscn3686.jpgCutting a 7 inch round in a 6 x 4 bandsaw!-dscn3688.jpgCutting a 7 inch round in a 6 x 4 bandsaw!-dscn3689.jpgCutting a 7 inch round in a 6 x 4 bandsaw!-dscn3692.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 25, 2020), Jon (Mar 26, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your Oversized Work Bandsaw Clamp to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    WOW BOB that was a mental breakthrough thanks for sharing....Cap.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Mar 27, 2020)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    I found the hard way that my HF saw wouldn't cut 3x6 tube. Panic time until I fixed it. Guess I'll make a thread about that.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information