Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Large Holes in thick steel

Thanks
    Great tip, I too have been a toolmaker for decades, never heard of this trick.
    Granted, I had at my disposal some serious machine tools and seldom used hole saws.
    Now that I don't have big machines to use this will be handy to know.
    Thanks for sharing.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mdhatter3 View Post
    Hate to burst someone’s bubble but this short cut has been around for a long time.
    There is a vast difference between an idea being "around a long time" and being known by a given person. Many times I have struggled with a problem because I didn't know the key words to use to search for the solution. I do often struggle with problems because I make do rather than even try to find a solution. This is especially true when I'm focused on solving one problem and do not want to be distracted by another.

I would love to see a list of machining tricks that have been around a long time.

Rick

2000 Tool Plans
    Rick

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Jul 2, 2021), Moldyjim (May 25, 2021), ranald (May 29, 2021)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    It is new to me so MUCH appreciated. I'm off to my shop to try it out.

Rick
    I tried this technique in my shop and it worked perfectly. I've been using hole saws for many decades and only now have learned this correct technique! Of equal value is to think about where the material held in the gullets goes as I use saw blades like this. It is a valuable insight.

Thanks Bob.

Rick
    Rick

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 28, 2021), Moldyjim (May 25, 2021)

Thanks
    It's easy to say that a particular way of doing something " has been around for a long time ", but I'm sure that each of us DO NOT have the same circle of knowledgeable friends, nor do we all read or view the same information available. Therefore, it is unlikely that someone who " knows " a particular method or shortcut will be common knowledge to everyone. To assume so is just plain stupidity.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I would love to see a list of machining tricks that have been around a long time.
    Rick
    It's difficult to recommend a collection of "machining tricks" since the audience for such a thing differs so widely in their relevant experience. What's revelatory for one guy is old hat for another.

With all that said, I'll mention (please don't equate "mention" with "recommend") a few things that might bear further investigation...

This book...

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Trade...s%2C219&sr=1-2

has lots of good information. Sadly, I think it's overpriced for its contents but that has a lot to do with my level of experience, YMMV.

The four volume set of Gunsmith Kinks...

https://www.amazon.com/Gunsmith-Kink...s%2C221&sr=1-1

is obviously aimed at the gunsmith trade but does include things of a more general nature. Again, I think overpriced for what the typical homeshop guy might get out of it but, again, YMMV.

The best advice is to find a library where you can examine these yourself and decide if they are for you. Local metalworking clubs or gunsmiths may have copies they would allow you to leaf through.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by funforall 69 View Post
    It's easy to say that a particular way of doing something " has been around for a long time ", but I'm sure that each of us DO NOT have the same circle of knowledgeable friends, nor do we all read or view the same information available. Therefore, it is unlikely that someone who " knows " a particular method or shortcut will be common knowledge to everyone. To assume so is just plain stupidity.
    I would not say “stupid.” It is more like a lack of empathy.

People often throw out the term “common sense.” Often, the implied understanding is neither common nor easily reasoned out.

Rick
    Rick

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

ranald (May 29, 2021)

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    It's difficult to recommend a collection of "machining tricks" since the audience for such a thing differs so widely in their relevant experience. What's revelatory for one guy is old hat for another.

With all that said, I'll mention (please don't equate "mention" with "recommend") a few things that might bear further investigation...

This book...

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Trade...s%2C219&sr=1-2

has lots of good information. Sadly, I think it's overpriced for its contents but that has a lot to do with my level of experience, YMMV.

The four volume set of Gunsmith Kinks...

https://www.amazon.com/Gunsmith-Kink...s%2C221&sr=1-1

is obviously aimed at the gunsmith trade but does include things of a more general nature. Again, I think overpriced for what the typical homeshop guy might get out of it but, again, YMMV.

The best advice is to find a library where you can examine these yourself and decide if they are for you. Local metalworking clubs or gunsmiths may have copies they would allow you to leaf through.
    Thanks for the recommendations. One that I re-read often is "Practical Ideas... for Metalworking Operations, Tooling, and Maintenance" by the editors of American Machinist from 1968. I would not be surprised if very few of the great tips in each of these books appear in other books. There are just too many great ideas in this world.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    ... There are just too many great ideas in this world.

Rick
    Indeed, exceeded only by the number of bad ideas.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Indeed, exceeded only by the number of bad ideas.
    Good one Marv!
    Rick

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

Tips and tricks - just can't get enough of'em

Personally I sometimes delve into this page: Geometer Workshop Hints and Tips
    most often without any particular need, rather just checking out methods, suggestions and tools.

Attached is a pdf with all tips and tricks in subject order: 101 Geometer Subject Sort List.pdf

Then, I try to adapt these in how I would go about these with my limited (material and intellectual) resources.
    This is (in my walk-in closet workshop) a most rewarding exercise in itself, but occasionally I actually do something.

This might seem like a complete waste of time,
    but I've come to realize that some of these "how-to" ideas pops outta the back of my head
    when I have to wing something "quick, dirty and operational" with available stuff together at work.
    Thus - the "how-to" is unconsciously at disposition, and just the try-outs can proceed at full speed, saving time for corrections.

2 cents, and hope somebody will find them useful.

Johan

Thread Information