Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cutting tire sidewalls using an angle grinder - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,800 Times in 9,911 Posts

Cutting tire sidewalls using an angle grinder - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 10, 2022), TheElderBrother (Jan 14, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I always wondered WHO was cutting up the old truck tires to put around the 1,000's of orange barrels we drive by all the time. That must be the guy!!

I am trying to see what kind of blade he is using. I have a friend with a pile of large truck tires. Too old to ever be used on a truck, I am not sure why he is saving them. Perhaps too costly to get rid of.

I have an idea you could stack the treads 2 or 3 high for raised bed gardening. The sidewall section would be good to hold down weed check fabric around plants that don't do well in raised beds.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I wonder about the fume content?

Ralph

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    I always wondered WHO was cutting up the old truck tires to put around the 1,000's of orange barrels we drive by all the time. That must be the guy!!

I am trying to see what kind of blade he is using. I have a friend with a pile of large truck tires. Too old to ever be used on a truck, I am not sure why he is saving them. Perhaps too costly to get rid of.

I have an idea you could stack the treads 2 or 3 high for raised bed gardening. The sidewall section would be good to hold down weed check fabric around plants that don't do well in raised beds.
    A carbide tipped saw blade in a heavy-duty angle grinder will do the trick. DON'T expect it to look as easy as it appeared in the vid though because it is not. Use something like a 5" blade on a 9" angle grinder If the tires have steel corded side walls you are in for a battle and if you don't want to die of black lung wear a real respirator a leather apron goggles and a face shield and heavy gloves.
    After your first cut you will quickly figure out a good angle to attack the tire to afford the least amount of friction
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    oh he's only cutting rubber, still like to see the blade,,i scrap metal and had some copper wire in thick rubber covering, tried a regular angle grinder thin, aluminum oxide cutoff wheel and the rubber wore it down real fast,,just used a box knife with a new blade..

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The blade looks like it might be a circular knife blade with lobes on it similar to a cam. This way, it would be snag free if it hit a belt.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information