Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Deck ledger board failure - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts

Deck ledger board failure - GIF

Deck ledger board failure. Commonly listed as the most frequent cause of deck failure.

Previously:

Trimming a wooden deck - GIF
    Trimming a long deck while on a skid steer - GIF
    Deck screw box with built-in deck board drilling template - photo
    Automatic rising deck chair - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Jan 13, 2023), nova_robotics (Jan 13, 2023)

Thanks
    This is why we built our deck (c. 1995) as complete free standing, not attached to the house but butted right up against it. Way easier engineering, therefore permitting. Our town even held a 'Deck Seminar' for people wanting to do it themselves, and the question was answered before it was asked: Why all these regulations, for a simple deck? A: Before these rules, "... anybody with a nail gun could build a deck. And a lot of those failed, sometimes badly."

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kb4mdz View Post
    This is why we built our deck (c. 1995) as complete free standing, not attached to the house but butted right up against it. Way easier engineering, therefore permitting. Our town even held a 'Deck Seminar' for people wanting to do it themselves, and the question was answered before it was asked: Why all these regulations, for a simple deck? A: Before these rules, "... anybody with a nail gun could build a deck. And a lot of those failed, sometimes badly."
    If a deck can not withstand the load of a single pallet of shingles then it is unsafe for humans to party on
    A friend of mine built his house with a deck cantilevered from the third floor, the original intent was to build in a hot tub into the deck as well. but after the engineering study came back it was deemed the additional several thousand pounds of water coupled with the possibility of as many as 25 guest on the deck possibly dancing could cause the deck to rack the house in the direction of the load the hot tub idea of being included in a deck which was cantilevered was scrapped as a steel tower structure under the tub would be required to support the weight. A tower structure could not be architecturally designed in to fit the wanted appearance of the house which was to look like the bow of a boat extending out over the pond below
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I count 12 layers of shingles in that stack. 3 bundles per layer. Typically 3 bundles per square(100 sq.ft.)except for some architectural shingles which are 4 bundles per square. Common weight is around 240lbs per square. I am guessing that stack contains 12 Square @ 240 per sq = 2880 lbs total weight. Stacked that close to the house, almost all of that is on the ledger board rather than distributed between the posts and the ledger.

Typical design standards specify 40lb per square foot as the minimum for EVENLY DISTRIBUTED live load. At 2880 pounds, spread over about 9 square feet, that stack represents 320lbs sq ft. Eight times the the design load for a common deck. Even assuming it was built properly to begin with.

I would never pile a stack of roof shingles on a deck, even if I knew it was built properly.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

bob_3000 (Jan 14, 2023), odd one (Jan 14, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jan 16, 2023)

Thanks
    IIRC the deck load was 100 lbs psf when I was a building inspector in NJ.
    I have seen ledger boards just nailed to the rim joist not lagged in.
    My friend in PA had the front porch floor fail because the contractor who built it just used masonry nails and nailed it into the brick!
    Lucky no on was on it when it failed.

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    I call out improper ledger attachments all the time on home inspections. It is scarry how many poorly built decks are out there. I will typically find something incorrect with a deck or wooden porch on new construction 20-25% of the time. Deck screws in hangers or no hangers or ledgers typically seems to be the most common deficiency on homeowner/handyman built decks.
    Last edited by odd one; Jan 14, 2023 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was all the work of hauling those shingles up 10 feet being wasted when they fell back down to the ground?

Neil

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by odd one View Post
    I call out improper ledger attachments all the time on home inspections. It is scarry how many poorly built decks are out there. I will typically find something incorrect with a deck or wooden porch on new construction 20-25% of the time. Deck screws in hangers or no hangers or ledgers typically seems to be the most common deficiency on homeowner/handyman built decks.
    I have seen many contractors commit the same errors.

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was all the work of hauling those shingles up 10 feet being wasted when they fell back down to the ground?

Neil
    First think I though was that is an expensive lesson that he probably​ will not repeat.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to odd one For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 15, 2023)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by odd one View Post
    First think I though was that is an expensive lesson that he probably​ will not repeat.
    If he can still walk!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thread Information