Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Depth micrometer caliper attachment

Supporting Member mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Thanks

mattthemuppet's Tools

Depth micrometer caliper attachment

simple project to use my digital caliper as a depth micrometer. One day I'll get a proper metric depth micrometer, but until then this should do fine.

Made from a perfectly sized piece of 13x100x25mm alu scrap. Drilled two holes in the side (where the rounded inside corners are) either side of where I wanted the slot to be. Drilled and tapped 2 matching holes in a piece of scrap and then screwed them together. This allowed me to hold my work in the vice but machine all 4 sides AND the slot in one set up, so that the slot was perpendicular to the base.

Cut the faces with a 1/4in 2 flute endmill, then the slot to ~7mm deep and ~9mm wide. Followed up with a woodruff key cutter - first the thinnest one I have, then one closer to size (~3mm) - and did a few passes to get a tight sliding fit with the caliper.

Then cut the chunks out with a hacksaw, cleaned up the sides and then angled both tops 3deg to clean them up.

Drilled and tapped for 4-40, cut down a thumb screw I salvaged from somewhere and tarted up the edges with a file. Done!

Depth micrometer caliper attachment-img_5320.jpgDepth micrometer caliper attachment-img_5321.jpgDepth micrometer caliper attachment-img_5322.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattthemuppet For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 13, 2016), PJs (Sep 13, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mattthemuppet! We've added your Depth Micrometer to our Calipers category,
    as well as to your builder page: mattthemuppet's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information