Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Become a founding member: 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Depth micrometer caliper attachment

Supporting Member mattthemuppet's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mattthemuppet's Tools

Depth micrometer caliper attachment

simple project to use my digital caliper as a depth micrometer. One day I'll get a proper metric depth micrometer, but until then this should do fine.

Made from a perfectly sized piece of 13x100x25mm alu scrap. Drilled two holes in the side (where the rounded inside corners are) either side of where I wanted the slot to be. Drilled and tapped 2 matching holes in a piece of scrap and then screwed them together. This allowed me to hold my work in the vice but machine all 4 sides AND the slot in one set up, so that the slot was perpendicular to the base.

Cut the faces with a 1/4in 2 flute endmill, then the slot to ~7mm deep and ~9mm wide. Followed up with a woodruff key cutter - first the thinnest one I have, then one closer to size (~3mm) - and did a few passes to get a tight sliding fit with the caliper.

Then cut the chunks out with a hacksaw, cleaned up the sides and then angled both tops 3deg to clean them up.

Drilled and tapped for 4-40, cut down a thumb screw I salvaged from somewhere and tarted up the edges with a file. Done!

Depth micrometer caliper attachment-img_5320.jpgDepth micrometer caliper attachment-img_5321.jpgDepth micrometer caliper attachment-img_5322.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattthemuppet For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (09-13-2016), PJs (09-13-2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks mattthemuppet! We've added your Depth Micrometer to our Calipers category,
    as well as to your builder page: mattthemuppet's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters

Thread Information