Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Desert railway - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,673 Times in 9,862 Posts

Desert railway - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 9, 2020), jimfols (Jan 8, 2020), Rangi (Jan 13, 2020), Tonyg (Jan 10, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Just think the way dunes are so fluid in their movements even though areas of that rail are several meters above the surface one day the sand will cover the rails. But at least the Chinese had the fore thought to built it high in the beginning

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jan 8, 2020)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    When you go there and see all the work done in infrastructure it really takes you aback. There is nothing in North America even close.
    These people are not afraid to think big and work hard to get it done.

Those qualities are something I'm afraid are gone in Canada and the U.S.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jan 8, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Jan 15, 2020), Rangi (Jan 13, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    More details on the difficulties this RR had to conquer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qingha...3Tibet_railway
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 9, 2020), Beserkleyboy (Jan 8, 2020), Moby Duck (Jan 11, 2020), Tonyg (Jan 10, 2020)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Mate, isn't the the truth! The whole rail network over there blew my mind...the concrete sleepers laid on reinforced concrete beds and well ground welded rails allows an absolutely flat ride...at 250kph... after looking at Marv's link (thanks Marv), I found this one. 500M long rails! Lots wrong in China with treatment of some peoples, but their commitment to infrastructure building is amazing...Thanks for the heads up Jon.
    Jim in burnt out NSW AUS...nearly 11 million hectares...so far...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Jan 13, 2020)

Thanks
    16,000 feet with a diesel engine. Who woulda thunk it? That's jet engine territory. Thanks all.
    Jim

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    When you go there and see all the work done in infrastructure it really takes you aback. There is nothing in North America even close.
    These people are not afraid to think big and work hard to get it done.

Those qualities are something I'm afraid are gone in Canada and the U.S.
    They also have more workers than work, so more takers for the low-wage grunt work. Much like the US had once upon a time.

Neil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    They also have more workers than work, so more takers for the low-wage grunt work. Much like the US had once upon a time.

Neil
    I've worked in China off and on for 7 years. Be careful when you think that they are all hard done by dollar a day workers. You couldn't be more wrong. The average person in China earns a wage that is comfortable enough in China. It wouldn't work in the U.S. but for where they are they are doing just fine. To much political baloney has been spread about the working people in China. When you are there it is quite an eye opener. In a great many ways China is far ahead of most Western countries. And like many Western countries has areas that are. Telecoms, Payments. Everything can be paid for with your cellphone if you want. People work hard because they are a money driven community. Money is a security. As of now there is no state run pension system. There is no personal income tax. Wouldn't that be nice!

When I'm there I can get things made at very high quality standards by very skilled people for usually less than the cost of the raw material here in Canada. And what blows me away is that everyone in the chain of supply, purchase and production is still making a living. Nothing is free in China.

And knowing factory owners I can tell you first hand that there are indeed shortages of workers. It all depends where and when. Just like any other larger country.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jan 9, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Jan 15, 2020), Moby Duck (Jan 11, 2020), Rangi (Jan 13, 2020), Tonyg (Jan 10, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 11, 2020)

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Thanks for that info, mate. We were only there as tourists for 3 weeks. I'm nearly the tour guide's PIA...asking too many questions about the workings of the economy and infrastructure! I sensed what you say re: wages and standard of living. The average 20-40 yr old seem quite content with their lot in life, but mind you, are very protective of saying ANYTHING that could be construed as against the 'state'. If I may ask, what sort of work did you do there? Cheers

Jim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Thanks for that info, mate. We were only there as tourists for 3 weeks. I'm nearly the tour guide's PIA...asking too many questions about the workings of the economy and infrastructure! I sensed what you say re: wages and standard of living. The average 20-40 yr old seem quite content with their lot in life, but mind you, are very protective of saying ANYTHING that could be construed as against the 'state'. If I may ask, what sort of work did you do there? Cheers

Jim
    I design loudspeaker drivers for a few companies all over the world. I get them manufactured by an American owned factory run in Guangzhou Southern China.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jan 9, 2020)

Thread Information