Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Diesel snow melter - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,819 Times in 9,923 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Apr 25, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    The amount of energy it takes to melt ice is crazy. This would be very expensive to run. Usually they just pick an unused corner of the parking lot and pile everything up there until the weather warms up.

If we assume around 80% efficiency of the diesel burner, then 1 litre of diesel is going to melt around 90 kg of snow. Lets say that loader is dumping 2 tonnes of snow with each bucket. That's 22 litres of diesel FOR EACH BUCKET LOAD.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    The amount of energy it takes to melt ice is crazy. This would be very expensive to run. Usually they just pick an unused corner of the parking lot and pile everything up there until the weather warms up.

If we assume around 80% efficiency of the diesel burner, then 1 litre of diesel is going to melt around 90 kg of snow. Lets say that loader is dumping 2 tonnes of snow with each bucket. That's 22 litres of diesel FOR EACH BUCKET LOAD.
    If they simply must remove the snow rather than pile it up and wait for it to melt, it would be more cost effective in the long run to Locate a suitable basin area excavate it out and construct an earthen dam creating a lake truck the snow and dump it there when it melts they still have the water.
    Other wise considering which cities are most likely to be trying to melt snow are located, they should just all go vacation in Venezuela for the winter
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    If they simply must remove the snow rather than pile it up and wait for it to melt, it would be more cost effective in the long run to Locate a suitable basin area excavate it out and construct an earthen dam creating a lake truck the snow and dump it there when it melts they still have the water.
    Other wise considering which cities are most likely to be trying to melt snow are located, they should just all go vacation in Venezuela for the winter
    A lot of places do truck it away and throw it in a lake or something. I've heard some places truck it away then wait for it to melt so they can recover some of the road salt. Around here we don't get enough snow so people just pile it up in an out-of-the-way spot until spring.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Is this some way to get water without Fluoride in it?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    In my opinion if you have to add chemicals to water to make it drinkable then it isn't. But of course distilled water is dead water
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    They should do like us in the winter, go south, real far!

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    I am being facetious of course. Here the fluoridate the water in most places despite it being a poison and having zero evidential evidence for reduction in tooth decay.
    Recently it came out that a region had gone a whole year without fluoride in the water. The usual screamers came out about public health and then four days later the national dental association put out a statement about the huge increase in dental decay. Damn strange how nobody noticed anything until the water supply company made the fact known isn't it?
    BTW I have friends, one in particular who was raised on pond and tank water who point blank will not drink city water as he reckons it makes people stupid and I believe he has a point. I do drink it and I'm not as smart as he is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 26, 2022)

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    When I lived in Keene, NH, the university had one. Seems they were only brought in when the snow piles got to the point that there was no more room for the future coming snows. Some people called them dragons. Basically a giant diesel powered jacuzzi. The EPA no longer allow the snow to be dumped in rivers or snow storage in areas that may run off into a water way. In Boston, there was a snow storage lot that the news would report on when the last of the snow finally melted. If I recall correctly, it was typically in June sometime. Basically always ends up being just a giant trash pile. The shear volume of snow could be could be impressive at times......that's why I moved South.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information