Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DIY Custom Aluminum Rivets | Aluminium Rivet Making Tool

Supporting Member universal scale models's Avatar
    Thanks

universal scale models's Tools

DIY Custom Aluminum Rivets | Aluminium Rivet Making Tool

Dear friends and followers, welcome back to my channel. A rivet is a permanent mechanical fastener. Before being installed, a rivet consists of a smooth cylindrical shaft with a head on one end. The end opposite to the head is called the tail. On installation, the rivet is placed in a punched or drilled hole, and the tail is upset, or bucked (i.e., deformed), so that it expands to about 1.5 times the original shaft diameter, holding the rivet in place. In other words, pounding creates a new "head" on the other end by smashing the "tail" material flatter, resulting in a rivet that is roughly a dumbbell shape. To distinguish between the two ends of the rivet, the original head is called the factory head and the deformed end is called the shop head or buck-tail.Because there is effectively a head on each end of an installed rivet, it can support tension loads. However, it is much more capable of supporting shear loads (loads perpendicular to the axis of the shaft). Bolts and screws are better suited for tension applications.Fastenings used in traditional wooden boat building, such as copper nails and clinch bolts, work on the same principle as the rivet but were in use long before the term rivet was introduced and, where they are remembered, are usually classified among nails and bolts respectively.I hope you enjoyed this video and where able to learn something from it as well. Thanks for watching, have a great time making and enjoying these projects as I do “Universal Scale Models”

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to universal scale models For This Useful Post:

Altair (Sep 11, 2020), Inner (Sep 11, 2020), Jon (Sep 17, 2020), Little Rabbit (Sep 26, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,819 Times in 9,923 Posts

Thanks universal scale models! We've added your Aluminum Rivet Making Tool to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: universal scale models's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information