Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DIY Spindle Square For Tramming Your Mill

Knife Maker
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

JKeetonKnives's Tools

Post DIY Spindle Square For Tramming Your Mill

So I had a chance to tackle this spindle square project last weekend. Really enjoyed it! I have a feeling I'll be using this guy a bunch, considering the mini-mill I have isn't very rigid and can be shifted.

FREE PDF plans are in the description of the video if yall want to build one.

Cheers,
    Red Beard Ops

PS: I got the inspiration and overall design of this build from "Build Something Cool"

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    J. Keeton
    "RedBeardOps" on both Youtube and Instagram
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/redbeardops
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/redbeardops/

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JKeetonKnives For This Useful Post:

bruno1 (Oct 25, 2020), H.L (Oct 24, 2020), Home-PC (Oct 26, 2020), Jon (Oct 26, 2020), Neil Jensen (Oct 24, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks JKeetonKnives! We've added your Spindle Square to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: JKeetonKnives's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Oct 25, 2020)

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    When I built mine, I took an extra step to adjust one of the dial indicators so that both have the zero at the 12 o'clock position. (Actually 12 o'clock-ish position.) It makes it a bit easier to read. I trammed my mill just as you described, then adjusted the z axis so the left needle was pointing straight up. Then I loosened the set screw for the right dial indicator and moved the indicator until the right needle was straight up. I still have to do an actual calibration, but t is less confusing with both needles pointing the same way.

I am glad you didn't make a big deal about the arbor and bar being perpendicular since that doesn't really matter.

From a design perspective, you want to have the dial indicators as far apart as possible, for a more accurate reading, but close enough that you have clearance to rotate the tool 180 degrees.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Karl_H For This Useful Post:

JKeetonKnives (Oct 25, 2020)

Knife Maker
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

JKeetonKnives's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    When I built mine, I took an extra step to adjust one of the dial indicators so that both have the zero at the 12 o'clock position. (Actually 12 o'clock-ish position.) It makes it a bit easier to read. I trammed my mill just as you described, then adjusted the z axis so the left needle was pointing straight up. Then I loosened the set screw for the right dial indicator and moved the indicator until the right needle was straight up. I still have to do an actual calibration, but t is less confusing with both needles pointing the same way.

I am glad you didn't make a big deal about the arbor and bar being perpendicular since that doesn't really matter.

From a design perspective, you want to have the dial indicators as far apart as possible, for a more accurate reading, but close enough that you have clearance to rotate the tool 180 degrees.
    Agreed! That is one reason why I extended my slots... so that I'd be able to move the actual indicators to match. The method you described makes it easier to read for sure!

I went with that total length dimension so that I can use it on a parallel, but looking back at it, I could of gotten away with making it longer for sure.

The arbor and holder being perpendicular hung me up at first when I was planning this project... I had to draw it in CAD and rotate it to make it make sense in my head! lol

Have a great Sunday sir!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    J. Keeton
    "RedBeardOps" on both Youtube and Instagram
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/redbeardops
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/redbeardops/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JKeetonKnives For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Oct 25, 2020)

Thread Information