Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Does somebody use this tool(wheel dresser) as a forming tool ?

Thanks

Okapi's Tools

Does somebody use this tool(wheel dresser) as a forming tool ?

I'm using this tool to make special wheels angles and profile, my idea is to use it for small radius cutting tools as I need for clockmaker pinions, the "problem" is it has not the vertical angle, it's possible to put the wheel dresser on a base with a 7-10° angle to make the cutting face right.
    My question is if somebody has used it as a tool grinder, how you did make that operation, with a corrected head for tool clamping or by the base with an angle correction ?
    Thanks for your answers.Does somebody use this tool(wheel dresser) as a forming tool ?-dresser.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    My inclination says yes; I'm not familiar with that type dresser. Yes, because swinging a point specific distance from center of rotation generates a radius concave or convex. The holder doesn't really know what is mounted; diamond or toolbit.
    Not really different than a toolpost ball turning tool, which you could stick on a grinding chuck with a diamond and dress a wheel. But a dresser has far better positioning.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Thanks for your commentary Toolmaker, this is a very precise tool, and as I've some special tools needed for making clock pinions, my idea is to use it as a very precise holder for grinding the profile, with that dresser you can make a radius with a side at 15° and the other at a different angle if you want, there is really perfect for sharpening wheels profiling with a high level of precision, it just needed to make a vertical angle different from the perpendicular.
    As you said it can be used as a ball or anything turning tool and I use it on a 102 for making special forms with radius and angles very precisely.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information