Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does your job relate to your building activities?

Thanks

Does your job relate to your building activities?

As we've recently discussed, there are definitely some common denominators amongst those who enjoy our wide range of building activities. In thinking about that today, I began to wonder about the sorts of jobs we all have (or from which we're presently retired) and whether they were related or unrelated to our other interests. So…

Does your job relate to your building activities?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    I am a mechanical engineer so I would say that my projects are pretty closely related to my job. After thinking about it I realized that most of my projects have stemmed from processes I saw or heard about through my day job.

Generally I learn a little about a process then I try to do it at home. Although the connection is not always that clear it seems to be the recurring theme in my projects.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    My jobs have been in management. So, definitely no building-related activities. That's why getting my hands greasy is therapy for me. I remember some years ago where I went into a meeting after having worked on my car for a couple of days. Seeing my slightly grimy nails and fingertips, the person beside me asked, "Did you have a breakdown?"

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts
    I'm a grease monkey by trade and most of my projects involve metalwork. Automotive engineering is an interdisciplinary field, since it covers machining, material science, electronics, etc. My interests branched out from there over the years.

Al

Thanks

Iron Wings's Tools
    I have worked in the oilfield, mining, logging, ranching, and steel building industries, spanning over 50 years. During that time I picked up a lot of practice at making do with what you had. Most of that time was contract or totally independent with my own rig and tools. I worked for an inventor who owned a logging co. When I wasn't repairing in the field, I was working on his projects.

Thanks
    I've had a fairly (OK, very) eclectic career ranging from technical writing -> system administration -> commercial pilot & flight instructor -> online content writing & marketing. Unfortunately, none of those positions directly utilized my mechanical skills and interests.

On the other hand, I believe that not ever having worked at a mechanical trade has preserved those areas of interest as recreation and entertainment. Working at them on a daily basis would most likely have long ago burned all the enjoyment out of them for me.

Ken

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Hi,
    I'm a little bit like you, Ken, very very eclectic, but more on my hobby works, I can not choose what I prefer the most, wood working, metal working, leather working, stitching, ... gardening, ... but professionally, I do all but that.
    Actually, a long time ago, my job started also has a great hobby, as a software designer, creating code is as pleasant for me as making wood shavings, it's the same kind of creative activity, with its own sens of aesthetic ... but sadly, when age comes, some sort of recognition as well, you are asked to do so much things they say you are doing well, but you are not so pleased to do ... management, project, ....
    So fortunately, when the week end comes, I do wood shavings ! (and also some web coding, for me)

Great thread Ken,
    Christophe
    Cheers !
    Christophe
    Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    When asked wha'd you (I) do this weekend, the answer 95% of the time; worked on the building, did metal or wood work, some mechanics, and so on. When asked on a weekday about day before, the answer really doesn't change.
    I am fortunate (STUBBORN) enough to pursue only jobs in the mechanical-industrial realm; by way of manual machining. Infinite satisfaction, but not instant, the reward is in completion.
    Said for decades now "...if I could afford it, I'd do it for free". That not being the case, I remain in their employ until it plateaus, or is no longer monetarily gratifying. I do not give two weeks notice. Two weeks? I'm not worth a couple extra bucks, but you want 2 weeks for me to train an imposter, wanna-be or intern? When I walked in, who was my personal mentor? I make sure they know my mentors are long-gone retired, and hit the floor running.
    If not challenged, I'm gone. If labeled as 'overhead', I disappear. With multiple toolboxes built for different shop environments I am freakin' mobile.
    They call workers like this a "Marco Polo". Great; where'd we be without exploration? There is "get to", "got to", and "have to". Get to is usually exciting. Got to is a resume. Have to is just crap
    Ever run a big P&W or Fosdick Jig Bore? 12' Niles Horizontal Lathe? 30' Gray Planer 60" Bullard? 48" Monarch? 12' Mattison? Blanchard? DeVlieg? Cincinnati Hydrotel?

Johnny Cash covered a Guy Clark tune exceptionally well.
    Find this and turn it up "Heavy Metal (Don't Mean Rock and Roll to Me)"
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    For me my building activities have always been my job. For most of my working career save for my 7+ year apprenticeship and a brief 6 year stint in the Army I have been self unemployed as I called it as an independent contractor/ oilfield trash, designing consultant job shop owner welder, machinist industrial & heavy equipment re-builder, diesel mechanic, sometimes a class "L" heavy haul truck driver ( 13 to 24 axle rigs) my last, and one of my very few actual salary jobs I was the senior engineer of a company. I was often called the Uncle of all engineers ( in Middle eastern talk that was like being the the one with all the answers even if your answer was nothing more than a best guess)
    I populated my factory in Kuwait with machines that I designed and built even several extreme special purpose machines that due to time limitations I had to have made in Germany Spain Italy and China. One of our product lines was what I took to the table when I went over there that was my freight and materials handling elevators we even manufactured and sold some of my elevators to the Otis elevator company of the Middle East.
    Now I just dabble in what ever comes down the pike if I figure that I am capable of doing it with the machines that I have or tools that I might build to do the job by myself.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member MetalDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

MetalDesigner's Tools
    I don't get to show my work or designs to anyone for my normal work ... About the only thing common is use SolidWorks to design items for work and also for fun projects.

Therefore it is nice having a place to share 'Just-for-Fun' projects I do with friends here on HomemadeTools.net and on my 'Just-For-Fun' Website for Family & Friends.
    https://ctmprojectsblog.wordpress.com/about/

Really enjoy viewing the creativity of individuals that post items on HomemadeTools.net ... Amazing what people come up with based on the different tools, workshop space, and materials available.

I see building some equipment to do 'Metal Spinning' in my future

... CHEERS!!!

Does your job relate to your building activities?-metal-spinning-equipment.jpg
    Last edited by MetalDesigner; Apr 24, 2016 at 04:03 AM.

Thread Information