Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Doing a project!!

Thanks

Doing a project!!

Hi ,
    I am doing a project on the topic of green buildings. From my small research online, I could find some information only. The concept of green building has been thrown around a lot this year. From the practices involved to the materials used, a green building is something that must use the latest green technologies. But, at the same time, designing a green building is not merely putting together the latest green building technologies, but , each element should be a part of a bigger picture, and there are many steps involved in the process. I need to know more about this. I am waiting for your replies.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oliwer For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Dec 24, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,800 Times in 4,214 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Actually the statement of a green building must use the latest green technologies is a false hood. Many of the latest so called green technologies have a significantly higher cradle to grave foot print than many of the much older less technical or scientific ways of constructing a building. However local zoning and ordinances often are a large dictator when it comes to using some of the low tech methods in construction expanding your research to include the reuse of as many materials as possible can lower foot print indicator when the life use of the building is taken into account.
    Do some research on methods of passive lighting, heating and cooling by the use of low tech and reclaimed materials for starters

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 24, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 24, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Hi Oliwer,

I have to say that I totally agree with Frank on his points, particularly on the dictator issues. Additionally the article you reference is from December of 13', part one only and no further issues. What bugs me about this is it is from a steel manufacturing company hawking their wares and the prudence of hiring all the necessary firms and engineers to "Design" this for you with some misleading statements thrown in to divert your attention. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with a steel building nor of hiring competent people beyond your skill level, it is just very biased imho.

As to your project on the "topic" of green buildings I might suggest you start with some of the older stuff like Earthship and do a little research on Indigenous architecture and those of the Native American tribes of the south west like the Hohokam and Salado, Havasupai and Pima who have lived quite sustainable/green "Building" lives in fairly harsh environments for up to 1200 years. I personally have enjoyed seeing and being in some of those early dwellings in the Superstition's and awed by their prowess in architecture and efficiency with natural local material....and still standing and functional.

With a background like that you can easily move forward into current technologies (LEEDS), their footprints and longevity. My hit is a balance of local material and space with recycled and new materials and tech to supplement and enhance the "Lifestyle" that Green Buildings can afford.
    Also always keep in mind the basics: air, water, Heating/cooling, light, power, sanitation and functionality.

~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 26, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 24, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,800 Times in 4,214 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A couple oc examples of how differing opinions are about GREEN
    The Sede Centrale, headquarters for Ca' Foscari University of Venice, is now the oldest LEED-certified building on the planet (556 years old, exceeding the previous record holder, Fay House at Harvard University, by more than 350 years)

Engineering and Technology Magazine call the head office of Geelen Counterflow in the Netherlands “the most sustainable office building in the world.” However it may be true that many or possible most of the materials used in its construction were certified sustainable. Many of the suppliers and contractors who could have been involved in its construction were locked out of bidding or selling their products in their own country
    Even the Shanghai Tower the tallest building in China stakes a claim in this area
    If you want green some of my ancestors were among the greenest people on the planet some made great long open sided buildings out of logs and thatch which they tore down twice a year and moved several hundreds of miles only to re erect them with fresh thatch the old thatch any logs no longer suitable for use in the building were used to dam up streams thereby providing them with water when they returned the next season.Another set of my ancestors used the hides from Bison or what is commonalty known as the American Buffalo and long poles to make their shelters which they also took with them when they had to relocate. When the hides became too fragile to be used on the shelters they were cut into thin strips then braided into ropes and weaved into baskets. some of my other ancestors made boats and sailed across from Northern Europe past Greenland then on to the Northern most East coast of the Americas 2 ,3 or possibly as much as 500 years before that Lost Spaniard ever sat sail. They broke up their boats to make their shelters out of
    You want green those folks were green a long time ago

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 26, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 27, 2016)

Thread Information