Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Don't do this

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools

Don't do this

This video is for people that are new to the shop or apprentices
    a student put an end mill in a Morse taper adapter and put that in the tail stock of the lathe
    this video is an instructional video not to do that and how to remove objects from an adapter
    this video will be shown during orientation before students enter the shop
    and I do know that I was using an old surface plate during my removal demo
    feel free to comment and share your experiences
    thank you for watching

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shopandmath For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Mar 15, 2022), carloski (Mar 14, 2022), Frank S (Dec 22, 2022), Home-PC (Mar 14, 2022), nova_robotics (Mar 15, 2022)

Thanks

Surface plate etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by shopandmath View Post
    This video is for people that are new to the shop or apprentices
    a student put an end mill in a Morse taper adapter and put that in the tail stock of the lathe
    this video is an instructional video not to do that and how to remove objects from an adapter
    this video will be shown during orientation before students enter the shop
    and I do know that I was using an old surface plate during my removal demo
    feel free to comment and share your experiences
    thank you for watching

I would never allow my students to use a hammer or any cutting tools on or near a precision surface plate: headshake:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Perhaps the student had seen a straight shanked tool inserted in a morse taper to straight bore adapter these are always split down the sides just the same as an R8 collet, only the student didn't see the part of how the adapter was actually made to hold straight shanked tools.
    Now how about 3 stone lapping that old surface plate back to its pristine condition
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

shopandmath (Dec 23, 2022)

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    Hi Frank
    Couple of years ago we've messaged back and forth a few times
    You're right about the surface plate that should not have been put in the video That's what happens when you video when you're angry(small mistakes happen)
    Merry Christmas happy new year
    Ray

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shopandmath For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 23, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by shopandmath View Post
    Hi Frank
    Couple of years ago we've messaged back and forth a few times
    You're right about the surface plate that should not have been put in the video That's what happens when you video when you're angry(small mistakes happen)
    Merry Christmas happy new year
    Ray
    First off, I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and hope you have a happy healthy and fruitful new year this is extended to everyone who reads this post.
    Now the surface plate I want to share a little story Decades ago long before I knew much of anything about precision or ultra-precision measuring devices, I was at a local machine shop to see if they could make something for me that was beyond my at the time capacity to make. While talking to the owner we suddenly hear this long string of profanities starting off with you bumbling clumsy string of expletives Idiot. We turned to see where the tirade was coming from only to find a guy yelling at himself standing next to a standalone sturdy table with a large granite surface plate on it and a part of some kind laying askew just off the edge of the plate a height gage laying on its side as well, along with a couple of 1-2-3 blocks, we walked over to see what had happened. There stood the guy's younger brother still swearing at himself staring at an ugly 2inch long scratch in the nearly brand-new plate. Billy just took one look at it and said now you know why when we bought this plate I also bought several Arkansas honing stones at the same time go fetch 3 of them and I'll show you how to undo what has been done. He was just as calm and relaxed as anyone I have ever know like it was going to be something that was inevitable to occur. I stayed and observed him and his brother ever so gradually work the surface of the plate back to pristine condition. Just by watching I learned a very valuable means of surface lapping using the triple stone method
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 23, 2022 at 09:23 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    I have a better story than that one
    I had two students that were comparing how much damage they had caused the company almost like doing it as bragging rights
    One of the students I was running a CNC machine basically loading it and he put the party in upside down
    This was a CAT50 holder the machine came down at full speed full rapid and sheared the drive lugs off
    and spun the tool inside the spindle
    They had to regrind the internal spindle
    This is where the surface plate gets mentioned
    This student had a cart full of parts any hopped on the back and pushed with one leg and guided down the aisle the cart went out of control and smashed into the large C MM machine which took a chunk of table off approximately 1 foot but triangular
    Both of those students didn't complete first year let alone their apprenticeship

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information