Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DREMEL PIN ROUTER

Thanks

morsa's Tools

DREMEL PIN ROUTER

This project is based on commercial devices for the router known as "Daisy pin router". The purpose of these devices is to consistently reproduce letters, shapes or figures on a piece of wood (work) using a template. To this end, the template is provisionally attached to the workpiece, and by guiding the contour of the template against the pin (placed on top) will result in an identical carved at work piece with the bit of the router (placed at bottom).

Instead of the router, a Dremel mounted on an accessory router table fixed to a base is used. The "pin" is a punch of the same caliber of Dremel bit (3/16 ") which is placed on an arm fixed to the base. In order to have a hands-free device, I use a footswitch that controls the on-off.

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-brazo.jpg

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-dsc07814.jpg

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-disposici-n.jpg

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-madera-y-plantilla.jpg

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-plantilla-pegada.jpg

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-dsc07869.jpg

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-pin-alto-y-bajo.jpg

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-dsc07874.jpg

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-dsc07876.jpg

morsa

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Nov 3, 2015), Jon (Oct 30, 2015), kbalch (Nov 2, 2015), Metallurg33 (Apr 14, 2018), mr mikey (Oct 6, 2022), Paul Jones (Oct 30, 2015), PJs (Nov 2, 2015), rlm98253 (Nov 15, 2017), Sleykin (Nov 9, 2023), Tiny (Nov 16, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Apr 15, 2018), Tule (Apr 15, 2018)

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    I find the concept of this tool really interesting. I have never heard of a "Daisy pin router" before. I can't think of an application I would use it for right now but I have a feeling I will find a use for it sometime in the future.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scorch For This Useful Post:

morsa (Oct 31, 2015)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks, scorch. With these terms (“Daisy pin router”, or just “pin router”) you can find commercial and homemade devices at Youtube and Google, where you’ll also find the way they work, and examples of the possible applications.

You can think of these devices as copiers, both of external and internal shapes, and once you have a template you can make as many exact copies as you wish.

Making such a device with the Dremel is because it will let me do works of smaller size than I could do with the router.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to morsa For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 2, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts
    That's a nice rig. Looked up the router table-based daisy pin router and it costs 49 bucks for that simple arm? I'd rather go with your route and fab one up from a toggle clamp and tubing. Thanks for sharing, morsa.

Al

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

morsa (Nov 1, 2015), PJs (Nov 2, 2015)

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thanks Al, and you’re right; before I made this jig, I was thinking to make a router pin with a metallic arm attached to the router table and a "horizontal" toggle clamp (placed vertically) to hold and slide the pins (in two or three different diameters, to match the diameter of the router bits), but at the end I gave a try with the Dremel and the router table accessory.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks morsa! We've added your Dremel Pin Router to our Routing category, as well as to your builder page: morsa's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Hi morsa,

Very resourceful! Your Dremel Pin Router is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

DREMEL PIN ROUTER-black-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg DREMEL PIN ROUTER-black-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg
    DREMEL PIN ROUTER-white-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg DREMEL PIN ROUTER-white-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg

Just let me have your details (size, color choice, and mailing address) via PM and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

morsa (Jan 8, 2016)

Thanks
    Very good idea. I believe these are often referred to as an overarm router. It is always interesting to see what creative people have done with the simple Dremel.

Thanks

morsa's Tools
    Thank you, sholcombe. Even though they are based on the same fundamentals, "overarm" devices means that the machine is positioned above the work. By the way, I have tried this arrangement with the Dremel and the same template, and I will be posting it in the next hours.

Thanks
    It would appear that your way of mounting the tool under the stock instead of above would be safer as the tool is never exposed. I wonder why typical overarms are not done this way. I have used an overarm many years ago in my fathers cabinet shop, it worked well. You do not see them much anymore, probably due to the commonplace of CNC routers today. We could cut your patterns via CNC mill in my shop if you ever need to.

Thread Information