Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Drill chuck arbors

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Drill chuck arbors

When Cecil, my mill-drill, is not set up for milling the spindle is mounted with the Albrecht chuck on an R8 arbor so that it can be used as a drill press on steroids.

When it is set up for milling an ER32 collet chuck is mounted. Handy for holding endmills but, if I want to drill a quick hole it's a pain to demount the collet chuck, mount the Albrecht, drill, and then reverse the procedure to get back to milling. The Albrecht chuck is a bit long so this generally means raising the mill head which means loss of registration on a round column mill.

To avoid this inconvenience I bought a nice 1/4" Jacobs chuck and made a 1/2" diameter straight arbor with a 3/8-24 thread to match the chuck. Most of the time the 1/2" collet is in the collet chuck so this arbor can be plugged in directly and holes drilled.

Wouldn't you just know that the first hole I needed to drill was 5/16"? So I acquired a 1/2" Jacobs chuck and made a 1/2" arbor with a 1/2"-20 thread. Now I can handle any drill up to 1/2".

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 29, 2018), PJs (Oct 31, 2018), rossbotics (Oct 30, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 30, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Nice work Marv.

In case anybody else is considering the same thing ( a very good idea) keep the arbor end short enough for proper engagement in your collet system and no longer. The reasoning is that an excessively long arbor makes it difficult to swap with other devices. I mention this because commercial straight taper arbors are often far longer than need.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    I know what you mean about those round column mill drills, they are a great machine until you have to raise the head to change tools, loosing registration is very frustrating and requires a little reset up work after, I bought one of those machines when I started my business 30 years ago just for small parts if my big mill was tied up, soon to find out it was a real pain in the azz, didn't take me to long to get rid of it.

you did a good job addressing your problem

Doug
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    The round column problem isn't that big a problem for me. I've learned to plan tooling head changes well ahead to minimize the number of times the machine head must be moved. I don't have the room for a mill with a knee but a square column would be nice.

The most important advice I would give to anyone with a round column mill is to buy a set of screw-machine length drills.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Papa Bill (Nov 8, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Drill Chuck Arbors to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information