Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Drill-powered nibbler - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,886 Times in 9,939 Posts

Drill-powered nibbler - GIF

Drill-powered nibbler.

Previously:

Nibbler cutting diamond plate - GIF
    Nibbler from angle grinder - video
    Pneumatic nibbler cutting steel - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Has anyone used one of those? Would that last very long cutting 28 ga steel pole barn siding and roofing? Would it handle cutting across the ridges in the sheets?

Drill-powered nibbler - GIF-panel-profile.png

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Has anyone used one of those? Would that last very long cutting 28 ga steel pole barn siding and roofing? Would it handle cutting across the ridges in the sheets?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panel Profile.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	44130
    For the most part they like to be used on flat panels don't do especially well on corrugations. I've not used the drill powered model like the one shown, I have a pneumatic one. The one I have is more of a center shear than a nibbler. The long guide foot makes it difficult to work with corrugations. A true nibbler gnaws its way through materials by slicing off tiny fingernail trimmings with a small contact footprint, and a messy amount of ejected sharp swarth to clean up, this one may be like those for all I know
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    For the most part they like to be used on flat panels don't do especially well on corrugations. I've not used the drill powered model like the one shown, I have a pneumatic one. The one I have is more of a center shear than a nibbler. The long guide foot makes it difficult to work with corrugations. A true nibbler gnaws its way through materials by slicing off tiny fingernail trimmings with a small contact footprint, and a messy amount of ejected sharp swarth to clean up, this one may be like those for all I know
    I'm guessing that this one is a nibbler like you describe rather than the center shear type you have. I have a couple of those as well, great tools. I say that based on the fact that it looks to leave a very small kerf, the lack of the long curly waste piece that the shears leave, and the really sharp turns this one seems to make.

The cuttings from a nibbler are what one of my former coworkers called the "Razor sharp half-moons of doom" due to the fact that they seem to end up everywhere, stuck in the soles of your shoes, the sides of your socks, in your pockets, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

schuylergrace (Nov 12, 2022)

Thanks

think7's Tools

corrugated cutter

Malco makes a drill powered corrugated cutter - that has pretty good reviews

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information