Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press DRO

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Definitely getting to be worry wart about so many. Agreed the angel eyes are a quite cheep and cheerful mod on Amazon for <$10 and sure I have a wart around that will work with them...just like the idea of rechargeable with the LiPo's. Maybe I'll give it a go to prep my brother for his. But I'll need to find a new resting place for my Kobalt? Then again wonder what the voltage of my Kobalt spare battery is?? Hmmm...Thanks C-Bag, I enjoy the banter!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by PJs; Aug 12, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Nice application of the calipers! I gave up on my harbor freight drill press, and that cast table ( at least mine, an earlier model, had way to much table flex and drove me up the wall) I used a scissor jack under the table for a while. Ended up finding an antique chas Allan factory drill press head. This mod will be perfect for it and should adapt over is a similar fashion. That is my favorite part of your design adaptability thanks for the idea!

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 12, 2015)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    PJs you are welcome and as a noob here I'm shocked how many views and how many people are viewing and nobody has any feedback or comments. The other forums I'm on there's way more comment and feedback.

I love seeing how other people solve problems whether it's simple or complicated. And when something catches my imagination I just have to comment and usually have questions. Just the way I'm hardwired. Especially when somebody shares a tip like the quagmire of those screws. Weird things like that make echoes in my brain that I can't always remember where it came from and isn't always strong enough to be a clear memory but it has saved my rear more times than I can count. Face it 99% of being a mechanic, fabricator, machinist etc is tips and tricks. You used to be able to get this working around someone or in the old days being an apprentice. Now we have the Internet and wonderful places like this an U2oob and folks who share their knowledge. Beats the heck outta TV

5. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 12, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Thanks Jere!! I hear you about the flex, just try not to push it. It's that thin wall tube! Saw some tubing a while back on Online Metals that I think will work with heavier wall, fairly cheep and could raise it up a bit too, but shipping will probably cost more than the tube. Still looking for old Iron myself. My dad had an old radial head that was built like a truck but got ruined in a fire he had. Love to see yours and what you come up with for it.
    Mark Twain

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    I love solving things too C-Bag and agree some of the best answers come from yakking about it with others or seeing something that triggers something for something else rolling around in the noggin. I also love seeing how others think about things. Personally though I really enjoy this forum for the diversity and the bright minds that I've run into here. As a first post for this forum I didn't expect much because of the myriad of other "creations" of this sort here, but ecstatic about the response I did get. For me, if Sharing the info and the obstacles overcome helps someone else, life is good and makes my day. IMHO sharing is what its all about.
    Mark Twain

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Aug 12, 2015), jere (Aug 13, 2015), kbalch (Aug 12, 2015)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    I guess it just depends on the model and age of the HFT drill press. Mine I inherited from my Dad that was made in '84. The table is really heavy duty and never had a problem with flex. There's been other probs like tilt markings are not accurate and height rack and gear are crudely done so it's taken years of use and lube to smooth out. Like HFTs there's good ones and not so good and then there's the ones you just have take back or get rid of.

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Bag View Post
    There's been other probs like tilt markings are not accurate and height rack and gear are crudely done so it's taken years of use and lube to smooth out. Like HFTs there's good ones and not so good and then there's the ones you just have take back or get rid of.
    I've actually modded most of these that you mention, just did it because I thought it needed it for my use. The tilt issue for me was that the table wasn't perpendicular to the post or spindle so I built a shim to get it there. As for markings I always use my Wixey angle gauge or protractor in 2 directions. The rack was one of the first with some sanding/polishing/white grease and the big one was building some Delrin shims for the pinion shaft...sloppy! Also built a smaller crank handle to accommodate my new wood table top and bushed it for the slop it had. Mine out of the box had issues with the the idler pulley and fixed that. The best thing I did was to turn a brass insert for the spindle slide adjustment similar to my lathe tail stock mod. It really stabilized the spindle and my runout went down to about 1.5 thou from 3-5. The spindle still has issues but over all its a $300, $85 drill press with a DRO now plus it now works much better.
    Mark Twain

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

jere (Aug 13, 2015)

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Thanks Jere!! I hear you about the flex, just try not to push it. It's that thin wall tube! Saw some tubing a while back on Online Metals that I think will work with heavier wall, fairly cheep and could raise it up a bit too, but shipping will probably cost more than the tube. Still looking for old Iron myself. My dad had an old radial head that was built like a truck but got ruined in a fire he had. Love to see yours and what you come up with for it.
    With the tube I used a 2in black plumbing pipe scrap and ground the casting out to fit. I wanted a little more height and strength. Maybe that might be useful to you or maybe the models are too different. Those radial head drills are really neat and useful, it makes me wonder if the right combination of plumbing fitting might turn a hf model into one

Drill Press DRO-20150811_132230.jpg
    here is what I want to adapt your idea to. not much original parts are left on it no badges. there are some bearings on it from 1904. just need to pick up some new calipers or batteries as both cost almost the same
    Last edited by jere; Aug 13, 2015 at 04:16 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jere For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 13, 2015)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Nice old Iron Jere, a beauty. Thanks so much for sharing you pic!

I thought about black pipe, easy to find but the size of mine is 2.56 (65mm probably) and black 2" sch. 40 would require bushings both ends, 2.5" turned down on the ends would only leave about .090 left at the ends, but .200wall would be awesome...to use pipe I think it would need Sch. 80 which would be a hunk...but solid! @¿@ Interesting thought on making a radial from one but the cast head would be cumbersome and limit rotation...with a heck of a clamp! Did think of filling it with concrete but longer would be nice. Don't feel confident to grind out the head and base...straight. I'll keep looking till something strikes me...thanks for the thoughts.

As for your beauty, it looks to me you could anchor a plate on the front pinch clamp bolts maybe and use either my hose clamp idea or what ever you can whittle out for the spindle. How much throw does it have? Also is that a fine adjust wheel on the front of the spindle?...if so that is Sweet!! Love the slider cast on to the base...serious solid. Amazing bearings still running for 111 years, how many revs have they spun in that time...Awesome! Coupons, Coupons, Coupons...the HFT way! ~¿@
    Last edited by PJs; Aug 13, 2015 at 05:09 PM.
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Great job and good write up. Looks like following your write up would make this a breeze. I learned a long time ago when taking things apart either make a drawing or use the camera on my phone, makes putting it back together a lot easier.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to crahar For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 13, 2015)

Thread Information