Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: The Drill Press FIX a Square Column for your drill press.

Supporting Member winkys workshop's Avatar
    Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools

The Drill Press FIX a Square Column for your drill press.

Here's a Drill press modification I made a while back. This is Part 1 of 4 and part 3 is testing the accuracy and 4 has a link to the plans. I've since replaced the hand crank with a Harbor Freight 3/8" hand drill. You can't beat the price, I think I paid $9 when it was on sale.

This modification keeps the horizontal reference when you move the table. You can use a center drill and step up to a 12" long reamer and everything stays lined up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to winkys workshop For This Useful Post:

byates (May 3, 2020), clydeman (Apr 29, 2020), Crusty (Apr 29, 2020), Duke_of_URL (Apr 29, 2020), geotech (Apr 29, 2020), johncg (Jan 19, 2023), Jon (Apr 29, 2020), Kevic (Apr 29, 2020), Moby Duck (Apr 29, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Apr 29, 2020), n9dug (Apr 30, 2020), Rangi (Apr 29, 2020), rlm98253 (Apr 29, 2020), Tonyg (Apr 30, 2020), Tooler2 (May 3, 2020), Tule (Apr 30, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks winkys workshop! We've added your Drill Press Column to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: winkys workshop's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    That sounds like a neat idea. And you got another 2" in the swing. Win, win, WIN!

When I first saw the post, I wondered if you could still drill holes in the ends of long pieces by hanging them off the side of the table. But you kept the round hole in the head casting so you can always loosen it and swing it to the side. Seems like you are sacrificing almost nothing. Yes, win, win, WIN!

I have seen a lot of drill press videos on YouTube but this if by far better than any of them. Thanks for posting it.

Oh, and I also picked up on your trick with the cutoff tool. Double thanks.

Final note: Better music than most and you actually had the audio levels set about the same for both voice and the music. The music does not blast me out of my chair. Very few YouTubers know and understand that. That gets you a "BRAVO"!
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; Apr 29, 2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Paul A.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

winkys workshop (May 29, 2020)

Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools
    Thanks for the great comment. I'm a long time youtube content creator and have a few good projects but this square column drill press is by far the best of my creations. Paired with an X Y slide table its totally amazing. I'm not exaggerating when I say this but I use the drill press almost daily and it gets used more than any other tool. Mill like accuracy is easy.

The cutoff tool is second on the list although I have several. The best video that has the holder with the HHS blade!

I recently restored a 1931 South Bend 11 (see 4 part video on my channel) and after that I made a improved (twice, two videos) lantern style tool holder. You brought up the music in my videos and it made me think of this one. I was proud the editing and music on this one. Check it out, I think the intro is great!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to winkys workshop For This Useful Post:

byates (May 3, 2020), Carnel (May 6, 2020), Crusty (May 5, 2020), Jon (May 7, 2020), Quinton 357 (May 5, 2020), thevillageinn (May 5, 2020)

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    I have a similar adjustable height lantern toolpost for a little Unimat I have and while the ability to fine tune for exact tool height is great, you’re right a QCTP has more advantages when the operations require frequent tool changes. It gets a bit old having to adjust the tool center height each time you want to use a new tool...which is where your specific height spacer blocks again have an advantage.
    Thanks for sharing!

Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thevillageinn View Post
    I have a similar adjustable height lantern toolpost for a little Unimat I have and while the ability to fine tune for exact tool height is great, you’re right a QCTP has more advantages when the operations require frequent tool changes. It gets a bit old having to adjust the tool center height each time you want to use a new tool...which is where your specific height spacer blocks again have an advantage.
    Thanks for sharing!

I agree.... for most thing I like the quick change better but I also like the ease of adjusting the height on my lantern but the biggest is is how solid it is.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks winkys workshop! We've added your Lantern Tool Holder to our Tool Holders category,
    as well as to your builder page: winkys workshop's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    That adjustable shim for a lantern type tool post was interesting. However the first link was to your square column drill press which to me was even more interesting. So how has tht drill press worked out for you?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information