Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: drinks cooler recycled from old refrigerator

Thanks

ranald's Tools

drinks cooler recycled from old refrigerator

drinks cooler recycled from old refrigerator-rsz_dsc_0283-2-.jpg
    Not exactly a tool but useful all the same.
    This was once (year 2000) a part of a refrigerator. I had given away a much larger boat "ESKY" for 4 ft + mackeral, that I made from marine ply & aluminium with a padded seat/bed, due to room to store it after selling my boat.
    My young family went camping often, either in a tent or caravan. We needed to keep the little dirty feet of our children & their many friends out of the tent or van. A gravedigger colleague had a "beer fridge" he wanted to be rid of, but none of our friends wanted one so I took it, released the gas, cut off the freezer and dumped the remainder. Where the resultant gap from cutting the item in two was, I formed a simple cover ( from thin plate) & attached with blind pop rivets & silicone after inserting more insulation. I used a can of white spray paint to match the remainder.
    This "esky" was still quite large so I added toolbox handles (available from hardware outlets) for easy lifting. As the box would be stationed against a
    shady tree or caravan I didn't bother with a cable, chain or hydraulic restrainer for the lid. I siliconed some rubber pads to what used to be the back of the freezer & now the bottom of the cooler. Due to weather conditions & salt air it now has signs of surface rust.
    Cost to me was about AU$8 for the roof & gutter silicone. I had the remainder in the workshop.
    I took it to show my friend, who gave me the old fridge, to show off what I had made from it. The cemetary "leading hand" asked to borrow it for a couple of hours that day & he disappeared, returning it later that day. A couple of weeks later I visited the Council Workshop to collect the Cemetary mower (after repair) and witnessed many "eskys" in a production line the engineering staff were making during their lunch break,.,drinks cooler recycled from old refrigerator-rsz_dsc_0002-8-.jpg,
    drinks cooler recycled from old refrigerator-rsz_dsc_0280-1-.jpg,
    drinks cooler recycled from old refrigerator-rsz_dsc_0003-11-.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks ranald! We've added your Drinks Cooler to our Heating and Cooling category,
    as well as to your builder page: ranald's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information