Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Driving an offshore pile - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,958 Times in 9,970 Posts

Driving an offshore pile - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jul 3, 2023), tuchie (Jul 3, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 824 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I bet the whales, like that, BANG, BANG, BANG!!!! Not tonight honey I have a head ache!!!

I think we can assume from the background that is for a wind farm. Just magine all of the carbon released making all of that steel to drive into the sea floor. Not to mention all of the other necessary operations necessary to bring one online. Maybe wind power is necessary. I do believe we need to explore all options, rather than rely on one or two. BUT, DO NOT claim that the purpose is saving carbon emissions.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by hemmjo; Jul 4, 2023 at 07:10 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 4, 2023)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Let's not fool ourselves. Necessity is the mother of invention but invention is the mother of MONEY! More ultra rich corporate owners producing band-aids to a mostly nonexistent issue. The planet warms on a schedule we can't even measure and cools the came way, the earth's axis tilts and it tilts back, it wobbles, it doesn't wobble, all of which we have no control over and only a slight affect. Humans aren't so great we can have these profound effects on the planet, we're fooling ourselves if we think we can. When the planet ceases to tolerate us or we cease to be able to tolerate the planet, we'll all just go away.
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    BUT, DO NOT claim that the purpose is saving carbon emissions.
    The upside is it only has to be built once compared to constant burning of whatever is burned to create energy.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    One thing about wind generation has been bothering me for a while...

Wind generation extracts energy from the wind. It's not an issue at the level it's happening presently (the first oil wells were a ho-hum thing too) but is anyone giving thought to the effect(s) of decreasing air flow? It's not a world wide issue but even local effects could be serious. Less wind in a valley that houses agriculture could lower yields and that could lead to downstream effects. Similar with the dispersal of plant seed, etc..

The other thing that bothers me about all this tree-hugging is the fact that nobody talks about the real problem. We're rapidly approaching the maximum population that the planet can sustain and yet there are large groups that are reproducing full speed with no plans in place to even approach zero population growth. (Malthus was more than an old British pessimist.) If we wait for nature to correct this problem, it will be terrifying; famine and war are very messy.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,455 Times in 824 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_3000 View Post
    The upside is it only has to be built once compared to constant burning of whatever is burned to create energy.
    The downside of the “up side” is by the time that carbon used to build it has been compensated for by generating “carbon free” power... that will be worn out and obsolete.

Once again, I am not saying don’t build them. But build them where they make sense. It is also not valid to claim they save the environment. They just create different issues.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information