Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DRO for Mill and retaining Vernier's Guarantee

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

DRO for Mill and retaining Vernier's Guarantee

Been putting this job off for a long time as the bad part would to make the collar to go around the spindle. But with having to fabricate 36 blocks for my CNC router I started to build, I just had to bite the bullet and go for it.

So 12.7 x 12.7 solid sq bent in my bender and hydraulic press to the best of my ability to get it as round as possible. Spindle OD 70mm.

DRO for Mill and retaining Vernier's Guarantee-mill-dro-1.jpg

And the a long time on the lathe taking 0.2mm cuts a time. Welding still harder than the steel even agter heating it up and letting it cool down at its own pace.

DRO for Mill and retaining Vernier's Guarantee-mill-dro-2.jpg

DRO for Mill and retaining Vernier's Guarantee-mill-dro-3.jpg

That is where I had to drill and tap into a small work piece again.

And finally the end product. Needed a 40mm spacer to the Mill body because the pulleys had to be cleared at the top.

DRO for Mill and retaining Vernier's Guarantee-mill-dro-6.jpg

I did fabricate a clamp to hold the vernier to the spindle mount, but with the quality of the Chinese machine there is too much play on the spindle and I think it will shorten the life span of the vernier. The elastic gives a bit. I will rather replace an elastic band if something does go wrong.

DRO for Mill and retaining Vernier's Guarantee-mill-dro-5.jpg

And now for the changes.

1) I made my vernier to be clamped rather than screwed to the Mill body. Once one has cut pieces off the vernier your guarantee is gone. Now if something does go wrong I can simply unclamp and return.

2) Most of the treads I looked at the people complained that the verniers are extremely hard and difficult to drill through. like I said before, I hate to reinvent the wheel so rather spend a few hours watching YouTube than spending time developing something that has been done before. With this method I also saved myself some time and a few drill bits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DRO for Mill and retaining Vernier's Guarantee-mill-dro-4.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by garage nut; Dec 29, 2019 at 03:10 AM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Mill DRO to our Digital Readouts category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information