Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Easy swarth tool

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools

Easy swarth tool

Hi fellow discoverers,

I have a habit of scrounging all sorts of stuff off the curbside refuge and when I discovered printers had a selection of real neat steel rods in them I accumulated quite an inventory of materials. It's great fun harvesting from old printers because they're all different and you'll never know what you'll find. Came across a couple of laserjets, can't remember what brand they were but discovered long magnets which sat on my magnet wall for quite a while, apparently they were from the magnetic roller inside the cartridges. Other neat stuff includes rubber rollers attached to steel rods which would make great belt grinder wheels. Anyway, saw people were making their own swarth tools, yep need one, spotted salvaged magnets on shed wall, located the aluminum tubes they came in, glued a knob on the magnet, whacked a rubber guard on one end of the tube and blocked off the hole.

Easy swarth tool-dsc_2225-large-.jpg

Easy swarth tool-dsc_2216-large-.jpg

Easy swarth tool-dsc_2226-large-.jpg

Easy swarth tool-dsc_2221-large-.jpg

I made the thicker one first, 12mm but wouldn't fit between milling table slides so made the thinner one, 10mm.

Happy scrounging!!

Cheers, Stevoh

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stevohdee For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Jun 27, 2018), Gregraper33712 (Jun 28, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 30, 2018), PJs (Jun 30, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 27, 2018)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Slick.

I have a whole bunch of old inkjet printer bits laying around, but haven't managed to find a laser printer. My swarf collector is a hard drive magnet in a ziplock freezer bag, at the moment.

I once scored two or three old IBM server-grade SCSI drives which had hugely strong magnets in 'em. I have one on my fridge that holds our loose recipe collection, about 50 pages quite firmly.

Protip: do NOT let one of those stick it self to the fridge by itself! You'll have to drag it off the side laterally

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Hey bruce, thanks, theres a whole world of hurt when using strong magnets and quite a few vids of the power of neodymium magnets. I have one from a large speaker i use for holding material while belt grinding, have to wrestle it off sideways & i wouldnt like to get finger jammed under it!!

Regards, stevoh

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Stevohdee! We've added your Swarf Tool to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: Stevohdee's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Nice job on the salvage and the swarf tools! Another good salvage is old stand alone scanners with a plethora of golden goodies as well as VCR's for gears, motors, capstans and small screws plus used the sheet metal a few times. Thanks for the share and ideas.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 30, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Stevohdee's Tools
    Thanks pj, yep salvaging has its merits, i mean if someone throws it out, its mine!! Haha, havent pulled apart vcr yet but now i have to... Sewing machines are full of usefull stuff, always on the lookout for motors, gears, pulleys, rods. The last sewing machine i found sat in the shed for a year till one day daughter needed one, worked perfectly. Treadmills are full of nice bits as well.

Cheers stevoh

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stevohdee For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 2, 2018)

Thread Information