This is the eleventh episode of the 18’ sailboat build and shows how you can save a boat load of money by fabricating your own Dorade Boxes and Cowl Vents. What are these? A Dorade box is simply a box with a baffle inside. It has a cowl vent mounted on top which is nothing more than a wind scoop in the shape of a curved horn (typically). The two items together are mounted on deck, over a hole bored into the cabin top (loosely speaking). This is a simple system that allows fresh air ventilation to the boat cabin without allowing water to get in.

I believe this original concept was developed by Ohlin Stephens of Sparkman and Stephens Yacht Design.

I used repurposed wood salvaged from home remodeling demo and old furniture that was thrown away. The cowl vent was fashioned from a 3” PVC toilet ring and a 3” 90 degree PVC street ell.

SO…….what’s ahead? Boat building continues with metal working projects such as making various brackets, gudgeons, pintles, fittings, and so forth. There will also be smaller woodworking projects for the new sailboat that will take place in the shop. In addition, I’ll be posting more videos on other subjects, ranging from furniture & kid’s toys, Christmas ornaments, Farm & Homestead items, and art projects (my usual winter activity).

Here's the video: