Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ER-11 Collet Rack

Thanks

mars-red's Tools

ER-11 Collet Rack

Had this idea for an easy-to-make rack to hold my ER-11 collets. Video is short and doesn't get into details, because I felt it really wasn't necessary. Once you see it, it's pretty self explanatory I think.

EDIT: I made a few attempts to put a plain link to the video here, but the forum software keeps converting it to an embedded video, which is unfortunate because it doesn't seem to allow full screen viewing that way.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mars-red; Aug 31, 2017 at 06:50 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mars-red For This Useful Post:

NickP (Sep 2, 2017), Paul Jones (Sep 1, 2017), rossbotics (Sep 1, 2017), Seedtick (Sep 1, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mars-red! We've added your Collet Rack to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: mars-red's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    mars-red,

I envoy watching everything on your YouTube channel. The collet rack is a very practice design.

I like the carbide insert milling head shown early in the video. Who makes this and what are the insert specs?

Paul Jones

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Nice job
    looks great
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    That's pretty fancy. I just drilled some holes in chunks of plastic to hold my collets. http://i.imgur.com/VSfkEiS.jpg http://i.imgur.com/M7tob2Y.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    When I first saw the video I was thinking that sure is a lot of material removal until I happened to see the collet size
    Super clean job nice work my problem is I would somehow manage to place it where it would be knocked over and I'd have little collets going everywhere.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

mars-red's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    mars-red,

I envoy watching everything on your YouTube channel. The collet rack is a very practice design.

I like the carbide insert milling head shown early in the video. Who makes this and what are the insert specs?

Paul Jones
    Thanks Paul! The carbide insert end mill is one I found in my buddy's stash of stuff when he was selling off his metalworking tools. It was still unused, in the tube. I didn't realize you could even get them that small. I don't like insert tooling enough to pay new prices for tool holders, in this case I got the thing so cheap that I couldn't pass it up. I really like it for mild steel. The inserts aren't the best for aluminum, like in this project, but it was more convenient than using a fly cutter.

Mine is an "Anser Dex", by the Harbor Tool Company. Model HS-050 end mill. They apparently went out of business well over a decade ago. But Cutting Tool Technologies makes an identical model, and suspiciously the model number is even the same - HS-050. You can buy them new, here, for $180: Cutting Tool Technologies: HS-050 End Mill That seems very reasonably priced based on what I've seen, so if you're inclined to buy new insert tooling then it's probably worth a look. The inserts are SPEH-2.522, and reputable ones seem to cost about $20 each. You can find the less-than-reputable ones for just a few bucks each.

Quote Originally Posted by pfredX1 View Post
    That's pretty fancy. I just drilled some holes in chunks of plastic to hold my collets. http://i.imgur.com/VSfkEiS.jpg http://i.imgur.com/M7tob2Y.jpg
    Nice! I nearly did the same, but had to follow through with this idea once it popped into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    When I first saw the video I was thinking that sure is a lot of material removal until I happened to see the collet size
    Super clean job nice work my problem is I would somehow manage to place it where it would be knocked over and I'd have little collets going everywhere.
    Haha thanks! If these had been larger collets I would have made the rack from several pieces. The nice thing about this design is if the slots aren't a snug enough fit to keep the collets from going anywhere, it's just as easily mounted on its back so they really won't go anywhere.

Thanks

mars-red's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYer View Post
    <!-- BEGIN /var/www/html/homemadetools/protected/modules/zeus/views/tool/postUpdate.php -->
    Thanks mars-red! We've added your Collet Rack to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: mars-red's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:
    Thanks! The description says it's made of steel, but it's actually made of aluminum, would you mind making that correction?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    mars-red,

Thank you so much for researching the availability of the small carbide insert end mill at Cutting Tool Technologies. I was impressed by your video because many of us have smaller milling machines and the 1" dia. carbide insert end mill would be very useful.

I don't want to take away from your excellent work but not all HMT members have the sophisticated milling machines to duplicate your elegant aluminum ER11 collet rack. Instead, I took the very easy way with a simple flat oak wood collet holder and using a two step hole with Forstner bits to accommodate the collet tapers.

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/w...4984#post19349

This design was based on creating a small ER16 rack that easily would fit into the small draw under the Unimat SL 1000 ( http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...00-lathe-10111 ). I am now considering what to design for a new ER32 collet rack. One approach is using a Jalapeno Pepper Rack and adding wood sides to elevate and angle the rack (King Kooker Jalapeno Rack with Corer Tool-36JR - The Home Depot ). This may be an easy way to build the ER32 rack.

Thank you for posting the YouTube video and providing the current supplier for the carbide insert end mill.

Regards,
    Paul Jones
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Sep 3, 2017 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    The holders I made are basically the same thing. Blocks with holes in them. But I opted for plastic because I figure it is more inert than wood is. So collets held in plastic are less prone to staining or rust than those in contact with wood may be.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pfredX1 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 3, 2017)

Thread Information