As news of the devastation from the Hurricane Laura emerges, one case of lethal carbon monoxide poisoning has been reported.
A 24 year young Louisiana man apparently decided to sit out the hurricane while getting electrical power from a generator inside.
As most of you already and hopefully know: that's a Really Bad Idea, but to my amazement unfortunately not uncommon:
"From 2005 through 2017, of the 1061 fatalities from 821 incidents:
880 fatalities (83%) from 655 incidents were associated with generators
(including six fatalities from four incidents involving fixed location, permanently installed
stationary generators*) and no other CO producing non-generator product."
2017: One incident/ week at an average:
"The 69 reported non-fire engine-driven tool-related CO fatalities in 2017 were a result of 54 separate incidents.
Sixty-seven of these deaths (52 incidents) involved a portable generator and no other type of CO-emitting product;
Of these 52 generator-related incidents, one incident (one fatality) involved two running generators, and
Another incident (one fatality) involved possibly up to three generators."
37 page report at: https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/Gen...BY2b7wPgMJltZu
During a 3 day local power outage in the winter a few years back. an entire family perished here in Sweden
when dad decided to move their charcoal barbecue inside to keep his family warm.
-Just be cautious, OK?
9 outta 10 fatalities above did NOT have a $10 Smoke Detector...
And if you don't have a smoke detector: -Get one!
If you have one - check its function and check the darned battery regularly!
* -Honey, why can't you just fix that muffler?