Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Extra long syringe oilers

Thanks
    Thanked 6,474 Times in 2,136 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Extra long syringe oilers

Nitpicker alert: This is more of a HomeASSEMBLED tool than a HomeMADE tool. The goal here is to alert people to a useful device they can assemble for themselves.

I've long used hypodermic syringes as oilers for the miniature engines I build. They work well with the standard ~1" needles. Unfortunately, I have other jobs (like oiling squeaky bearings buried deep in an office fan that can't be easily disassembled) where a longer needle reach is essential. I've struggled with extensions made from 2 mm plastic coffee stirrers but wore my patience dangerously thin while piquing my annoyance - a dangerous combination.

Then I stumbled across Amazon's selection of long and really looong syringe needles.

4" needles

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZKLBG82...p_imgToDp&th=1

7" needles

https://www.amazon.com/30ml-Syringe-...s%2C168&sr=8-7

They have longer needles (including an incredible 20") but I think anything longer than the 7" would be too fragile and too difficult to handle.

The needles are listed as 14 gauge. [Gauge numbers, another idiotic nomenclature system.] and have the correct color for that type. Standard size for a 14 is 2.108 mm OD, 1.753 ID but when I measure these I get 1.8 and 1.48. Like wire gauges, maybe Chinese needle gauge standards are different from western ones. Obviously, the difference isn't important in this application.

Oiling the fan bearings was a perfect doodle with the 4" needle. Can barely tell it's running.

Extra long syringe oilers-p1010510.jpg

Aside: Surgeons who do spinals seem to prefer all glass syringes because they provide better tactile feedback about the needle tip location. You don't have to be a surgeon to appreciate this. Glass syringes have very little stiction compared to the more common rubber-like piston used in plastic syringes. If you decide to make an oiler like mine, buy a glass syringe; Amazon sells them, e.g....

https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Syringe...s%2C160&sr=8-4

2,000+ Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both possibilities are equally frightening.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

ductape (Aug 28, 2023), Jon (Aug 31, 2023), piper184 (Aug 29, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Be sure to blunt the pointed end of the needle before use, in order to reduce the chance of getting poked. A few swipes with a medium stone works well. Even a tiny amount of oil under the skin can be very bad.
    Syringes are also useful for injecting glue into tight places like the leg tenons of wobbly wooden chairs.

2,000+ Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ductape For This Useful Post:

piper184 (Aug 29, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,474 Times in 2,136 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ductape View Post
    Be sure to blunt the pointed end of the needle before use, in order to reduce the chance of getting poked. A few swipes with a medium stone works well. Even a tiny amount of oil under the skin can be very bad.
    Syringes are also useful for injecting glue into tight places like the leg tenons of wobbly wooden chairs.
    These are all "dispensing" needles so, as the Amazon page clearly shows, they are "blunt tip".

2,000+ Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both possibilities are equally frightening.

Thread Information