Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Face mask hot air balloon - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,831 Times in 9,929 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I don't think that's real.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

DSTP (Aug 18, 2023), ductape (Aug 18, 2023), piper184 (Aug 18, 2023)

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    I call ******** on that video.

String into the mask just off-amera.

: - (
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    It almost certainly isn't real.
    The top of the mask in that position isn't shown, and it's clearly being supported by something.
    The match box appears to be nearly full at 0:07. Probably more weight than what could be lifted by what little amount of hot air would be caught under the mask.
    Despite the air moving around, it immediately goes kind of straight up after lighting.
    It would be a cute trick if not for all of that.
    Last edited by ductape; Aug 18, 2023 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,861 Times in 11,344 Posts

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

DSTP (Aug 18, 2023), nova_robotics (Aug 18, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    HA, thats funny, a one legged girl flying on a jet ski...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    If you want to make a non-trolling version of this, a the thin plastic bags commonly used to cover dry-cleaning are extremely lightweight and can lift small payloads.

They're also flammable, so free flight is not recommended in fire risk areas.

I'd be interested to see how real hot-air flying paper lanterns are put together if anyone has an example.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    If you want to make a non-trolling version of this, a the thin plastic bags commonly used to cover dry-cleaning are extremely lightweight and can lift small payloads.

They're also flammable, so free flight is not recommended in fire risk areas.

I'd be interested to see how real hot-air flying paper lanterns are put together if anyone has an example.
    Long time ago, when I was teaching a drafting unit on "surface development". I had students work in groups to determine the shapes of the panels in a typical hot air balloon shape.
    Face mask hot air balloon - GIF-hot-air-balloon.png

The sections are basically trapezoids of varying dimensions. After the paper, pencil and ruler work was completed, no computers then, students set to work creating the balloon from tissue paper and rubber cement. They scaled the balloon so the largest panels could be made from a standard 20" x 26" tissue paper sheet. I got multi-color packs of paper for them to use. They learned to get the most small pieces on each sheet. Often one large and one small, whatever worked to create the least waste. I "charged" the groups $100 per sheet they used for their balloons.

We made a "burner" from a 5 gallon bucket. They were all steel back then. Cut a hole in the side, put a 6" diameter 4' long stove pipe in the lid. Put 1/2" square mesh hardware cloth at the bottom of the chimney and window screen at the top to keep embers out of the paper balloon.

The school was out in the country, had about 5 acres open in back for activities, with a woods behind that. Used wadded up news paper for heat. The first flight went about 10' high then settled down gently. The first flight we all learned that the bottom needed more weight as the balloon turned upside down. The decided to add a construction paper collar to weight the bottom. Next time we had a calm day they flew it several times. Holding it over the heat a little longer each time. The last flight was the longest, as we all got more brave and held it down for longer. When it got up I would guess 100-150 feet, there was a breeze up there blowing toward the woods. A balloon eating tree had their beautiful balloon for lunch.

All in all it was a great activity, but we never launched the with the fire attached to the balloon. The fire stayed on the ground and we had kids with water buckets around the circle of kids holding the balloon over the heat. Wish I had photos,

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Thanks very much for typing that up. It seems silly in hindsight, but I never considered leaving the fire on the ground. Call that one tunnel vision.

Thanks

hemmjo's Tools
    No Problem. It is a neat project, but not without some risk the needs to be accounted for.

I found the remnants of one of these at the edge of my woods one morning while walking the dog. All that remained was some very fine wire that ran up into the paper envelope and part of the square fuel block. They are called Chinese Wish Balloons. I guess the theory is send them off and wish they do not set someone's house on fire. The add says "fire resistant paper". Clearly the one I found was not fire proof.
    Face mask hot air balloon - GIF-wish-lantern.jpeg Face mask hot air balloon - GIF-flying-lantern.png

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information