Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Fake car noises in electric vehicles - photos

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,861 Times in 11,344 Posts

Fake car noises in electric vehicles - photos

In the latest chapter of our Brave New Fake World, Toyota is developing electric vehicles with:

• Fake engine revving sounds
    • Fake gear shifters not connected to anything
    • Fake stalls when controls are not operated correctly

This comes on the heels of Dodge's concept EV, the Charger Daytona SRT, equipped with a 126 dB "synthetic" amplified faux-exhaust tone. It sounds like this:

Dodge's CEO has admitted their difficulty in duplicating the original sound:

"Did we crack the code on wide-open motors? Not yet. But we've got two years," CEO Tim Kuniskis said in an interview following the event. "We have changed the sound of that car 1000 times and we will continue to."
    I have no problem with electric vehicles per se. If we can solve the problems associated with sourcing their power, and mining the metals for their batteries, then we may have a viable technological step forward.

I am also fine with quiet electric vehicles making noises in order to alert pedestrians. These safety mechanisms are called Electric vehicle warning sounds.

Things like the telltale camera shutter "click" with digital cameras are a little creepy, but also acceptable; you need some sort of audible indication of a completed photo. This is an auditory example of something called a skeuomorph.

Recall the hokey automotive trend of giant exhaust tips? That was cringey, but at least it wasn't synthetic.

Or "rolling coal"? A poor substitute for smoking your tires, but at least it's not a projected hologram of smoke.

Those previous exhaust trends are propagated by young men showing off, and are scoffed at by older automotive purists.

This new trend of artificializing vehicles is more worrisome not only because it's far less genuine, but because it's coming directly from the leadership of automotive manufacturers.

More:

https://archive.ph/YG7p5
    https://archive.ph/Wa0cg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Inner (Jun 17, 2023), MeJasonT (Jun 18, 2023), nova_robotics (Jun 18, 2023), piper184 (Jun 21, 2023)

Thanks
    If Elon Mush had an actual sense of humor he'd have made the Tesla safety tone the sound of a playing card clothespinned to the front spokes of a Schwinn Stingray, speeding up & slowing down depending on the car speed

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Haroun For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Jun 18, 2023), MeJasonT (Jun 18, 2023), nova_robotics (Jun 18, 2023), piper184 (Jun 21, 2023)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Not just Toyota, apparently its a new safety concern - never, who would ever have thought about road safety. But then you get the lowdown on net zero :-
    Forget Planet of the Apes we are going to be taken over by Planet of the Karens, i don't actually see much difference - they are both neanderthals
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jun 18, 2023), piper184 (Jun 21, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jun 18, 2023)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

piper184 (Jun 21, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jun 18, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    CVTs. I hate them. People don't understand them, and would whine about their cars making weird sounds. So car manufacturers programmed the CVTs to simulate a conventional car shifting as it accelerates, thereby completely negating the advantage of a CVT.

The China Electric Car thing was an investor scam and nothing environmental.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Haroun (Jun 18, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Jun 18, 2023)

Thanks

Fake car noise

[QUOTE=Jon;224487]In the latest chapter of our Brave New Fake World, Toyota is developing electric vehicles with:

I truly believe that re-developing nuclear power and electric transportation need to go hand in hand. But while I'm waiting for that magic day to come, I'll keep working on my electric car's fake noise playlist. So far I've decided on the 'William Tell Overture' (The Lone Ranger), and 'Ride of the Valkyries' (Apocalypse Now) .... I'm sure there will be more to follow ....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to basil3w For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jun 19, 2023)

Thread Information