Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fancy push sticks

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by therosehermit View Post
    I ended up making this one:

duct tape, frank, what do you mean really?
    cause I've looked at the ones you suggested duck and except for that one:
    Attachment 45039
    except for that one (if I were to hold it from the very top), the hand position for the rest all seem to run pretty close to the blade (well I'm ignoring the obvious sole stick).
    It could be the angle of the photo that causes it to look unstable. I shouldn't have been so quick to judge, because everyone has their preference. A few close calls with push sticks that have a horizontal handle makes me not want to use that style.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,006 Times in 11,394 Posts
    Look up table saw injury studies; there is a disturbingly large amount of data, and many of the injuries occurred when people were using push sticks. You can search a study for push stick to see some accounts of what happened: "push stick flipped", "push stick broke", "push stick got caught in the blade", etc. Table saw injuries represent the highest number of woodworking injuries. Or search YouTube for table saw push stick injury for some bloody anecdotal accounts. SawStop works well, but isn't cost effective for hobbyists. As you are pushing a workpiece through, consider "what if my push stick broke right now?".

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,412 Times in 2,121 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Look up table saw injury studies; there is a disturbingly large amount of data, and many of the injuries occurred when people were using push sticks. You can search a study for push stick to see some accounts of what happened: "push stick flipped", "push stick broke", "push stick got caught in the blade", etc. Table saw injuries represent the highest number of woodworking injuries. Or search YouTube for table saw push stick injury for some bloody anecdotal accounts. SawStop works well, but isn't cost effective for hobbyists. As you are pushing a workpiece through, consider "what if my push stick broke right now?".
    The first time I tried to cut something on a table saw, I was terrified. After some thought, I decided that the only way to make it moderately safe was to build a sliding table for it. With that the work can be clamped to the table and your hands remain safely back pushing the table and not the workpiece.

I also added a power interrupter switch activated by a horizontal bar that stretched across the saw stand at upper thigh height. Bumping it with your body stopped the saw. Actually, with the sliding table the bar was overkill; I seldom used it. However, it's a safety feature that, along with a motor brake, should be built into every lathe to help avoid those "rolled in" accidents.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 27, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Feb 28, 2023)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Clever on both modifications. This is a problem with deadman switch pedals too. If a machine pulls you in, it won't necessarily lift your foot off of the pedal. Improper deadman pedal design was implicated as a cause of the 2003 Waterfall rail accident:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Thanks for the rabbit hole. There are a surprising number of interesting studies done on this. Many of them come to the conclusion that people just tend to remove safety devices for convenience.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Does anyone use or trust this...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Does anyone use or trust this...
    A friend of a friend is a surgeon who does woodworking outside of his day job. He has a Sawstop and trusts it to not wreck his livelihood. So far, so good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ductape View Post
    It could be the angle of the photo that causes it to look unstable. I shouldn't have been so quick to judge, because everyone has their preference. A few close calls with push sticks that have a horizontal handle makes me not want to use that style.

y'all check this bad boy from John Malecki xD... solved the close to the blade problem!:
    Fancy push sticks-pushstick-genius.png

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by therosehermit View Post
    y'all check this bad boy from John Malecki xD... solved the close to the blade problem!:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pushstick genius.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	45057
    Plan for that flange on the end to break, or for it to slip off the end of the workpiece.

Thanks
    fair point. will improve it.

Thread Information