Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fatwood

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1966 View Post
    What is HD please? I’m in Australia.
    Sorry, I missed the fact you are in Australia. For us Yanks, HD stands for Home Depot - a hardware/lumber/garden store.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    As an addition, beekeepers do dip their hive boxes in hot paraffin to protect the timber from the elements - one dip apparently prevents the wood from rotting for 75 years or more if done properly.
    is one example of a youtube video on how to do this.
    Also have a look here about what means "properly". Or, google for "paraffin beekeeping" or something similar to get comments from beekeepers on what is good procedure.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CanBeDone For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (May 14, 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beserkleyboy View Post
    Drew, did not realise you were here in AUS, hence my American English...I take it you're in QLD. Hoop Pine won't have any gummy /pitchy bits. It's not even a Pinus species. Wonderful wood, but very different. Slash Pine (southern yellow pine to the yanks) is very resinous. It is plantation grown in QLD.
    My best source for fatwood was from the heart of Radiata Pine, that CanBeDone is referring to. It is usually only found in timber squares, 90x90,100x100, which typically are sawn from the heart of the log. In saying that, those pieces with large resin veins or deposits are culled out in the grading process, and directed toward very low grade end uses, ala gluts and pallet making material. Radiata pallets are a good place to find 'pitch pine'. As are 'peeler core' gluts, used extensively by CHH plywood mills. Try looking/bribing at plywood distributors in Brisbane for these gluts. They are distinctive, being about 100mm rounds, with 2 sawn faces, always heart centre. Hope this helps. I'm happy to look in my area for you. I checked the workshop this arvo, and not a bit of fatwood to be found! Cheers

Jim in Shoalhaven Heads, NSW
    Jim, I’ll have a look at the chipboard factory in GympTown as they use some of the plantation pine grown around here and it would be wonderful if you could look for some for me.
    Thank you

Drew in GympTown, Queensland.

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Drew, I'll have a scout around. If I find some, would you like me to saw it up to a certain (over) size?

Jim

Thanks
    Yes please mate, I need them about 25 x 25 x 100mm.
    Also, please private message me.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    You might look on Youtube. Some guy has a video on getting it from cedar trees (I think). I have also seen it advertised as "Georgia fatwood."

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information