Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Fence Upgrade For Table Saw And Miter Gauge Using Aluminum Extrusion

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools

Fence Upgrade For Table Saw And Miter Gauge Using Aluminum Extrusion

I upgraded all my machines fences to the universal system using aluminum extrusions (aluminium extrusions).

In this video I only present the table saw and the miter gauge (mitre gauge) fences upgrade, to keep the watching time reasonable.

Please watch the separate videos for the miter saw, as well as the band saw fence upgrade using aluminum extrusions.

I used 30xx aluminum extrusion series, because they allow me to use the standard T-track on top of them, which is 30 mm wide, and fits these series perfectly.

Depending on my project requirements, I can use various types of the fences:
    - short fences,
    - long fences, which allow better registration of the long material along the long fence,
    - tall fences, which allow cutting rabbets / rebates, tenon shoulders, dados etc in the vertically positioned boards, hence keeping them more stable.

The table saw fence uses UHMW supporting board, to prevent the flimsy thin hollow original fence from denting as it is tightened to the aluminum extrusions.

I used cam-action clamps from the bicycle seat, as the clamping mechanism for the original fence + universal aluminum extrusions upgraded fences, to speed up swapping different types of fences as needs arise.

The results of the table saw and miter gauge fences upgrade exceeded my expectations, especially due to now being able to produce perfectly straight long cuts (which was a real struggle prior to this upgrade).

The cross cuts quality also significantly improved.

The bonus of using aluminum extrusions + UHMW supporting board, is that my universal fence system is weather resistant, it will remain straight and won't ever change its geometry. So this solution is also time proof.

The aluminum extrusions allow attaching stop blocks, feather boards, jigs of all kinds to all my fences, and the attachments can be shared between various machines, as all my fences are now using the same format, same slots size, same width.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; May 25, 2021 at 04:43 PM.
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

johncg (May 26, 2021), Jon (May 26, 2021), Toolmaker51 (May 26, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks tiger carpenter! We've added your Table Saw Fence Modification to our Fences category,
    as well as to your builder page: tiger carpenter's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (May 26, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Not to detract from tiger capenter's woodworking applications, aluminum extrusions make serviceable tooling for sheet metal equipment; front arms [with retracting stops], back gauges, squaring arm.
    Over here, one form of the material is known as 8020, but there are several imitators with nice variations. Sadly, none seem interested adapting those to be combined.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    thanks for your feedback. indeed these extrusions can be used for plenty of applications in all the industries.

I called myself Tiger Carpenter but I'm not really into woodworking only. In fact I caught myself developing more projects with metals / plastics than with wood.

Please stay tuned to my upcoming video on the switchable magnets, which beat the MagSwitch strength wise, and due to being a vertical rectangular cuboid, they are more easily attached to anything (fences, welded parts, jigs, etc).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 27, 2021)

Thread Information