Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Finding the Equator On a Ball/Bead (Making A Knob)

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools

Finding the Equator On a Ball/Bead (Making A Knob)

Need a wooden knob. That requires drilling a hole on the equator of the wooden ball / bead I am using. Here are 2 quick, easy DIY methods of doing that. No special tools required. I will post a video on how I mount this ball on a shaft.

MATERIALS 1 Ball / Bead
    - Light colored thread
    - Pen / fine marker

MATERIALS 2 Balls / Beads
    - Shaft
    - Dirty surface (or carbon paper or similar)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsbrownie For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Sep 26, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Oct 2, 2019), Seedtick (Sep 26, 2019)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    I know everyone does not have one but I would chuck up the ball in my lathe and drill a hole

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickieDickie View Post
    I know everyone does not have one but I would chuck up the ball in my lathe and drill a hole
    That guarantees that you've found a diameter but the OP wants to find the equator relative to an existing, on-diameter, through hole. His string method is loaded with error sources but his second method is spot-on.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools
    Marv, You're a smart guy, it scares me when you say the first method is loaded with error sources. Assuming a round hole and round ball, what can go wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tsbrownie View Post
    Marv, You're a smart guy, it scares me when you say the first method is loaded with error sources. Assuming a round hole and round ball, what can go wrong?
    My favored medium is metal, not wood, so I tend to evaluate measurement techniques with a machinist's eye.

First, the method depends on the existing hole being the same diameter throughout, no chamfering. Then there's the problem of accurately marking a string and finding and marking the midpoint of the marks with a scale and transferring it to the ball. It would be impossible to maintain a tolerance of 0.050, totally unsuitable in the machinist's world.

But you're working in wood where such a tolerance is totally acceptable. I should have noted that in my response. I apologize for not doing so.

Your second method is much better. The close-fitting shaft averages the hole location, avoiding the problems of edge finding and marking in the first method. Rolling on a marking medium auto-locates the equator without the need to fuss with making measurements with/on a string. The second ball has to be the same size as the workpiece but, again, that's an error source with which only a machinist would concern himself.

In fact, your second method comes close to one of the methods I would use if it was a precision metal sphere and I needed to minimize errors in locating the hole.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools
    Interesting stuff, thank you for the explanation. As you noted, much of what I do is not high tolerance (to say the least). This is for the knob on a crystal radio wiper rod. (
    )

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information