Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: FIRE SHIELD - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools

FIRE SHIELD - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE

Starlite is an intumescent material claimed to be able to withstand and insulate from extreme heat. It was invented by British amateur chemist and hairdresser M a u r i c e W a r d during the 1970s and 1980s, and received significant publicity after coverage of the material aired in 1990 on the BBC science and technology show Tomorrow's World. The name Starlite was coined by Ward's granddaughter Kimberly. Ward died in 2011.(from wikipedia)

I saw this experiment in N i g h t H a w k I n L i g h t chanell when there is also the expanation of the protection from extreme heat using a material similar to STARLITE . This material is made from 10 parts of corn flowr , 1 part of baking soda and vinil glue. The bubbles of the CO2 (that is produced by heat of the baking soda) that is included in baking coda act as an insulator . These bubbles are trapped inside the material and stop the heating of the rest of it. There is an expantion of the material from inside to outside.The carbon that is produced makes a protection cover at the exterior surface and don' t let the CO2 to go outside to the atmosphere. The melting point of the carbon is very high so the carbon is kept in a good condition for a long time and protects the heat insulator ( bubbles of CO2).
    Except the experiment of the egg and the plastic glass , I 've also made some tests with the welding machine and the results were very satisfying.
    YOU CAN WATCH THE TESTS OF THIS MATERIAL IN THIS VIDEO:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FIRE  SHIELD  - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE-f1.jpg   FIRE  SHIELD  - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE-f2.jpg   FIRE  SHIELD  - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE-f3.jpg   FIRE  SHIELD  - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE-f4.jpg   FIRE  SHIELD  - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE-f5.jpg  

FIRE  SHIELD  - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE-f6.jpg   FIRE  SHIELD  - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE-f7.jpg   FIRE  SHIELD  - STARLITE ΗOMEMADE-f8.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mariost For This Useful Post:

mr herb (Jan 17, 2020)

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    That would be even better if not a feast to bugs.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

McDesign's Tools
    Ward died in 2011.(from Wikipedia)

Wonder how many others it's killed?

Forrest

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information