Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: First known film with the live-recorded sound - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,827 Times in 9,927 Posts

First known film with the live-recorded sound - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

albertq (Mar 6, 2024), nova_robotics (Mar 6, 2024), Ralphxyz (Mar 6, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Absolutely amazing. I've heard the first wax recordings and they were terrible, but the quality on this is impressive. Also there's definitely some man touching there. Was two dudes dancing together socially acceptable 130+ years ago, and became socially unacceptable later? I find that almost as interesting as the recording technology. I know pooping inside a house was the most revolting idea in the world when everyone owned outhouses, so there have definitely been some pretty wild societal changes over the years. I live way out in the woods, far away from civilization. But even then I still don't think I can remotely comprehend how people lived 100 years ago.

Edit: Not to draw parallels between man touching and pooping. I was just emphasizing how different life was, and having indoor bathrooms being near-taboo was the most extreme example I could think of between differences in life between then and now. The house I grew up in had an outhouse, but I don't think it was used since I was born. The bathroom in that house was a much later addition.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by nova_robotics; Mar 6, 2024 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Absolutely amazing. I've heard the first wax recordings and they were terrible, but the quality on this is impressive. Also there's definitely some man touching there. Was two dudes dancing together socially acceptable 130+ years ago, and became socially unacceptable later? I find that almost as interesting as the recording technology. I know pooping inside a house was the most revolting idea in the world when everyone owned outhouses, so there have definitely been some pretty wild societal changes over the years. I live way out in the woods, far away from civilization. But even then I still don't think I can remotely comprehend how people lived 100 years ago.

Edit: Not to draw parallels between man touching and pooping. I was just emphasizing how different life was, and having indoor bathrooms being near-taboo was the most extreme example I could think of between differences in life between then and now. The house I grew up in had an outhouse, but I don't think it was used since I was born. The bathroom in that house was a much later addition.
    The captured recording of the sound is supreme quality for the era in itself, I have to agree.
    as to the second part of your post. Go back even further another few years and even a century or more for that matter. men wore frilly attire at events even danced together the higher their status the more garish the attire huge fluffy ruffles and lace, on the collars and cuffs of their blouses even with long flowing skirts to the top coverings over their blouse.
    I have sometimes referred to it as the strutting of the Peacocks.

For the other part, people in the cities used to have pots in their bedrooms where they did their business then would empty them out an open window into a trench between the sidewalks and the building every morning. An outhouse in the country would have been quite a step up IMO.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 6, 2024)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    The fact that it was not only an audio recording but the soundtrack to a moving picture is incredible! The Civil War was a recent event at that time!

The idea of male / male (or female / female) relationships being looked at negatively (not that your statement implied that) is a fairly recent concept (pre man-created, organized religion). In many civilizations it was considered to be a sign of more advanced, even revered, awareness and ability. Sometimes referred to as "Two-Spirit", they were often elevated to the rank of holy man, shaman even, or other leaders. They were able to depart from the rudimentary, base instincts of relationships for the sole purpose of procreation. Pink was also widely believed to be more masculine than blue and makeup was universally used by both males and females. A perfect example of the arrogance of mankind. If I don't like something and I can get enough people to back me, I can change the very fundamental views of mankind and make those views the norm for no more reason than it's what I believe...
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Mar 6, 2024)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The captured recording of the sound is supreme quality for the era in itself, I have to agree.
    as to the second part of your post. Go back even further another few years and even a century or more for that matter. men wore frilly attire at events even danced together the higher their status the more garish the attire huge fluffy ruffles and lace, on the collars and cuffs of their blouses even with long flowing skirts to the top coverings over their blouse.
    I have sometimes referred to it as the strutting of the Peacocks.

For the other part, people in the cities used to have pots in their bedrooms where they did their business then would empty them out an open window into a trench between the sidewalks and the building every morning. An outhouse in the country would have been quite a step up IMO.
    Wild Bill Hickock not only wore flamboyant clothing but also very long curly hair. He was what they used to call a "dandy".

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thread Information