Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Flexible LCD display module - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,248 Times in 9,724 Posts

Flexible LCD display module - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

bob_3000 (Jan 26, 2023), nova_robotics (Jan 26, 2023)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    One of our supervisors just got a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip with the folding screen. It's about 3 1/2" - 4" square folded up. She hasn't had a single issue with the screen but I wonder, what's the life cycle of folding it, long term? When it's open you can't see any type of diffusion or sign of the "fold". And it's an Android phone which is always far superior to i-garbage...

2000 Tool Plans
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 27, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    One of our supervisors just got a Samsung Galaxy Z Flip with the folding screen. It's about 3 1/2" - 4" square folded up. She hasn't had a single issue with the screen but I wonder, what's the life cycle of folding it, long term? When it's open you can't see any type of diffusion or sign of the "fold". And it's an Android phone which is always far superior to i-garbage...
    I sometimes think android might make a good PC OS but it has a lot of limitations with compatibility for some apps. That said since my first smart phone they ahve all been android based except for 1 windows-based phone. It was great but the phone itself was too delicate for my use. My galaxy 4 active was pretty rugged but no ways compares with my Sonim X8800
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I sometimes think android might make a good PC OS but it has a lot of limitations with compatibility for some apps. That said since my first smart phone they ahve all been android based except for 1 windows-based phone. It was great but the phone itself was too delicate for my use. My galaxy 4 active was pretty rugged but no ways compares with my Sonim X8800

Google tried it with the Chromebook, I have one. %$#@! It is PARTLY Android compatible and mostly... a paperweight.

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    These are not LCD, those are LEDs placed on a flexible pcb. Each LED is small, 1mm x 1mm is likely. I have first hand knowledge on this type of product.
    They are showing 2 different products in this video. The flexible product is a special design to accommodate being flexible. The product he is working with on the table is a flat/rigid LED product. If you flex that one, it will break. The metal panel on the table is a die-cast aluminum enclosure that holds a power supply, signal distribution board to the 4 LED modules and some cables. It also provides a flat precise surface to mount to the wall, and make a very flat display.
    There's lots more I could say about this...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KustomsbyKent For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jan 30, 2023), Hoosiersmoker (Feb 3, 2023)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomsbyKent View Post
    These are not LCD, those are LEDs placed on a flexible pcb. Each LED is small, 1mm x 1mm is likely. I have first hand knowledge on this type of product.
    They are showing 2 different products in this video. The flexible product is a special design to accommodate being flexible. The product he is working with on the table is a flat/rigid LED product. If you flex that one, it will break. The metal panel on the table is a die-cast aluminum enclosure that holds a power supply, signal distribution board to the 4 LED modules and some cables. It also provides a flat precise surface to mount to the wall, and make a very flat display.
    There's lots more I could say about this...
    Ha! I didn't even notice it said LCD in the description, good catch

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thread Information