Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Flexible sledgehammer - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Flexible sledgehammer - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Oct 9, 2021), Rangi (Oct 10, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Two things, first, the head is moving faster than the handle, therefore the kinetic energy is greater, and the other is that it does not transmit the shock wave to the operator so much

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Oct 9, 2021), Inner (Oct 9, 2021), johncg (Oct 10, 2021), Rangi (Oct 10, 2021)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    I think I may have had to undo some of the nuts this guy has torqued down.
    I also had a Chinese axe that bent like that, but only once.
    Last edited by Moby Duck; Oct 10, 2021 at 05:31 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

carloski (Oct 13, 2021)

Thanks
    no there is NOT more kinetic energy,,,u can go to u tube and lookup testing martial arts weapons and one guy does a vid on nunchucks,(Shadiversity nunchucks are stupid) which are connected by a chain or leather piece,,he tested it against a simple 3 ft long stick an was able to hit way harder with the stick than the nunchucks,which are just as dangerous to the user as the bad guy..u can power through with a solid handle generating more force,,the flexible hammer will bounce very easily off target,, nothing to hold it onto target,,now yes a flexible hammer does not transmit bad vibration back to user,, but that is all its good for,,,and u can get hammers now with anti-vibe handles...which is the way to go,controlled force is how u get the job done, and safer too,,u can bet OSHA will not allow flexible hammers in the workplace,,,leave flexible handles in the cartoons...
    Last edited by madokie; Oct 13, 2021 at 01:16 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to madokie For This Useful Post:

carloski (Oct 13, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by madokie View Post
    no there is NOT more kinetic energy,,,u can go to u tube and lookup testing martial arts weapons and one guy does a vid on nunchucks,(Shadiversity nunchucks are stupid) which are connected by a chain or leather piece,,he tested it against a simple 3 ft long stick an was able to hit way harder with the stick than the nunchucks,which are just as dangerous to the user as the bad guy..u can power through with a solid handle generating more force,,the flexible hammer will bounce very easily off target,, nothing to hold it onto target,,now yes a flexible hammer does not transmit bad vibration back to user,, but that is all its good for,,,and u can get hammers now with anti-vibe handles...which is the way to go,controlled force is how u get the job done, and safer too,,u can bet OSHA will not allow flexible hammers in the workplace,,,leave flexible handles in the cartoons...
    Aw shucks, maybe they just had a lot of flexible sledge hammer handles they needed to get rid of. And by the way, the last time I looked at kinetic energy, it was a function of mass times speed. a ten pound hammer being dropped from three feet will likely hurt your toe, but at forty miles an hour, there'll be no toe. The hammer head did not change, only the speed.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Oct 13, 2021)

Thanks
    i dont believe the speed did change,, when i swing a solid sledge hammer the handle and head is moving at the same speed as a flex handle,, if u watch the vid, the hammer head is flexed toward the back,,and it stays there till it hits target, it doesnt swing forward,,,,no more kinetic energy...to get more energy u would have to hold the handle and stop swinging,and let the head swing forward to hit target,(more speed),this vid doesnt show that ,,it shows a full normal type swing...which means to me that the flex head is always flexed to the rear,,not swinging forward..u tube vid Bendy Hammers,(flexible sledge hammer),, looks like made for when a lot of hammering is needed,to prevent handle breakage ..
    Last edited by madokie; Oct 13, 2021 at 11:58 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by madokie View Post
    i dont believe the speed did change,, when i swing a solid sledge hammer the handle and head is moving at the same speed as a flex handle,, if u watch the vid, the hammer head is flexed toward the back,,and it stays there till it hits target, it doesnt swing forward,,,,no more kinetic energy...to get more energy u would have to hold the handle and stop swinging,and let the head swing forward to hit target,(more speed),this vid doesnt show that ,,it shows a full normal type swing...which means to me that the flex head is always flexed to the rear,,not swinging forward..u tube vid Bendy Hammers,(flexible sledge hammer),, looks like made for when a lot of hammering is needed,to prevent handle breakage ..
    God it peeves me when I have to explain to folks what they fail to perceive for themselves. At the very start of the swing, the hammerhead is significantly BEHIND the handle, at the point of strike, it is marginally in front of the handle (watch it one frame at a time), TO DO THAT IT MUST BE TRAVELING FASTER THAN THE HANDLE.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information