Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Forklift collapses scaffolding during crane installation - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts

Forklift collapses scaffolding during crane installation - GIF

Forklift boom lift collapses scaffolding during an installation of a part for what I believe is a crane in a warehouse or factory. So many things done incorrectly in these 20 seconds, it's incredible that it looks like nobody was seriously hurt.

Previously:

Forklift driver collapses entire warehouse of racks - GIF
    Excavator collapses hillside - GIF
    https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...209#post115950
    Forklift lifting forklift - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 30, 2018), Beserkleyboy (Dec 30, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 29, 2018), that_other_guy (Aug 7, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    As many times as I have seen things like this happen I still am amassed lack ov common sense when raising or lowering heavy or large objects.
    They have a boom on the fork lift presumably they needed it to reach over the beam while it was laying on the ground. The boom looks to be about 8 or 10 feet in length and the beam about half that. and probably close to half the cap of the forklift in weight @ the 2 ft from the mast rating. which translates to being the full safe cap at the end of the forks now double that length the weight would be 200% safe cap. Tilt the mast all the way back and sneak by at around 150% Still over the safe rating but doable with great care no sudden movements quick stops and above all never tilt out.
    It looks to me like the driver may have accidentally tilted the mast out then noticed what he had done and tried to recover.
    The safe thing to do would have been to relocate the lifting point on the boom once the beam was standing

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    As an EH&S compliance engineer with 20 years experience, this is a huge failure in training, management, and engineering.

Every forklift in America in use in an industrial setting has a tag listing maximum loading under various conditions that would have clearly indicated not to have done this.

And, to suggest that exceeding manufacturer labeling is acceptable, there is one word for folks who operate machinery (in this case, powered industrial trucks) knowingly in an unsafe manner at work-Criminals as they are likely to be criminally prosecuted for their negligence and incompetence

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Ahhh, the number of accidents like this are endless...all you fork drivers know all too well the limitations of the machine...a particular incident at our family lumber yard, Pearson Lumber Co, in Calif from '46 to '85, comes to mind. A well trained and conscientious young bloke had a serious mishap, lifting a 3 ton unit of green Calif Redwood 2 x 12, 20' long. He had to clear another stack about 8' high. Because of the bulk and length, he could not see the 4" he did not have... the rear wheels lifted about 2' off the ground, the pack of timber slid off the forks and the rear came crashing to the ground, after he leapt off the machine. The result was 2 very flat wheels...2 new tires and wheels and the 62 Hyster RC150 was good to go again.
    We had that machine from 62 to 85, and only did an 'in situe' rebor, selling for $5500 st the final auction. God how I miss my last forklift, a Komatsu FG25 w/ side shift...oh well, have to settle for a chain hoist these days...cheers
    Jim in effing HOT South Coast NSW, AUS

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beserkleyboy For This Useful Post:

PJs (Dec 30, 2018)

Thread Information