Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forward vs. drag filing action comparison - video

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,884 Times in 9,939 Posts

Forward vs. drag filing action comparison - video

Forward vs. drag filing action comparison. 16:41 video.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Apr 22, 2023), Frank S (Apr 22, 2023), jkahn (Apr 23, 2023), nova_robotics (Apr 22, 2023), piper184 (Apr 23, 2023), Ralphxyz (Apr 22, 2023), uv8452 (Apr 22, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

uv8452's Tools
    First class investigation. Thank you.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Some interesting test results. Still won't be forcibly dragging my files though. I will however be watching for a possible brand to brand test.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

uv8452 (Apr 23, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

uv8452's Tools
    Frank: Yes, dragging backwards sends shivers down my spine. My main preoccupation is to get rid of the chips. A former supervisor of Rüggeberg's (>>Pferd brand) told me a) that it is less a question of brand (Pferd is still one of the best), b) but of industrial epochs ("... 60 year ago, most brands were longer lasting"). Escape: Use the (yellow angle) CORINOX files. (expensive, though). Never buy DIY store files. Look for new forgotten files in drawers. For small files: Buy swiss ones.
    Last edited by uv8452; Apr 23, 2023 at 12:24 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to uv8452 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 23, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by uv8452 View Post
    Frank: Yes, dragging backwards sends shivers down my spine. My main preoccupation is to get rid of the chips. A former supervisor of Rüggeberg's (>>Pferd brand) told me a) that it is less a question of brand (Pferd is still one of the best), b) but of industrial epochs ("... 60 year ago, most brands were longer lasting"). Escape: Use the (yellow angle) CORINOX files. (expensive, though). Never buy DIY store files. Look for new forgotten files in drawers. For small files: Buy swiss ones.
    I would still like to find some of the no longer made 28" foundry files like my dad and I used to have.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Apr 23, 2023)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Forward vs. drag filing action comparison - video-image.jpg
    This is an illustration from Alexander Weyger’s book “The recycling,use and repair of tools”, in which he describes how to make a crude file and, on the following page, a file-making rig. I have never tried it, but I have come across a lot of files, and the longer they are, the better.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 23, 2023), uv8452 (Apr 23, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	45317
    This is an illustration from Alexander Weyger’s book “The recycling,use and repair of tools”, in which he describes how to make a crude file and, on the following page, a file-making rig. I have never tried it, but I have come across a lot of files, and the longer they are, the better.
    Of course, all files you buy today are machine made but less than a century ago many files were still made by hand. There are still a few artisans who make custom files and probably some as we inappropriately call the 3rd world. When my dad was medically retired from the Marines the year before I was born, I'm told he brought 4 things back from Korea his M1, 2 28" files and a 14" long knife he had made from a large file. He and I still used them to shave the engine blocks and heads until I was well into my teens then one day he decided they were just too dull to use any more, so he heated them up to anneal them ground off all of the teeth then forged knives out of them. I kept one of the knives for nearly 30 years, but it disappeared mysteriously. It had the most beautiful handle made out of several shades of leather, with a brass guard and pommel with aluminum and brass separators between the leather disks.
    If I remember correctly, you recently made a knife with a leather handle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I don't and won't drag files, regardless results of automated test.
    People don't push in direct reciprocation, equally consistent pressure, or parallel to the file itself. Proper filing angles just less or more than angle of the teeth, partly reason file widths and lengths vary. The only file regularly used 'square' is the lathe file, which has severely (in comparison) angled teeth and safe edges to not alter corners
    I separate files for brass from those for other materials.
    Like Frank S, knocked down surfaces that wouldn't seal before, not engines, but various industrial pump faces. No choice when it won't fit a machine, or on location.
    The better and selected files are stored not in contact with each other, and will chamfer a corner that passes for being hand sanded 250 grit or better. That kind of work was common in tool work, molds, dies, fixtures, prototypes etc.
    Long files have a better working life because the wear is distributed over greater area.

The 'system' of filing as taught by Swiss, German and Belgian (3 most prevalent) is how I started, and still use; having 95% of the files I started with.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 23, 2023 at 01:07 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Frank, it must have been someone else who made a knife with a leather handle, although I’ve made a drawknife from a file. To lose a knife your father made, presume it was stolen, would have been really annoying. I had a penknife swiped from where I was working, one I’d fixed. Have I forgiven the bloke I think had it? God help me, hardly!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 23, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Frank, it must have been someone else who made a knife with a leather handle, although I’ve made a drawknife from a file. To lose a knife your father made, presume it was stolen, would have been really annoying. I had a penknife swiped from where I was working, one I’d fixed. Have I forgiven the bloke I think had it? God help me, hardly!
    My bad, sorry. I remember your drawknife but had confused it with another post I really liked. It was Anthonyget's first attempt at making a bowie knife thread with the leather handle. First attempt at a Bowie Knife
    Drawknife

Thread Information