Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fridge delivery fail - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,248 Times in 9,724 Posts

Fridge delivery fail - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    trying to balance a bulky tall object on a single neck strap placed under the bottom, what's not to fail,
    the weakest of the 2 guys should wrap the strap around the fridge just above center of gravity pull both ends around in front of his body with his back to the fridge twist the ends together and hold with 1 hand leaving the other free to hold onto a handrail if there is one. lean forward allowing the fridge to lean onto his back the other guy picks up the bottom of the fridge by the nearest edge to him this will be about the same height as is waist. Begin ascending the steps 1 step at a time step lift and allow the bottom lower edge to rise to the next step rest and repeat always keeping the fridge leaning up the stairs

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Jun 12, 2022 at 11:29 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Jun 13, 2022)

Thanks

katy's Tools
    That reminds me of the old Laurel and Hardy movie where they're trying to deliver a piano.

Thanks
    Whatever happened to just using a hand truck? 2 guys coulda done that no sweat with one.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drivermark View Post
    Whatever happened to just using a hand truck? 2 guys coulda done that no sweat with one.
    Handtrucks, even the nicest newest ones today, can still gouge or even just press a floor or a set of steps. I was working on a job a while back & the building had "brasilian cherry" floors, which were pretty soft for a tropical hardwood. I left one afternoon & when I came in the next morning there were tracks pressed into the floor by the super expensive heavy duty 4 wheeled appliance truck. You could look at the floor in the light from the windows across the room & see how they came into the place, where they went into a room & backed out to turn, then the turn into the kitchen.
    Now, granted, these 2 likely would have gotten the fridge into the house with a hand truck but I do wonder what the damage to the deck stairs & the doorsills would have been.

Thanks
    This reminds me of when my older brother asked if I could help him move a small safe, I said there is no such thing as a small safe.
    6 hours later we had it in the truck!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroun View Post
    Handtrucks, even the nicest newest ones today, can still gouge or even just press a floor or a set of steps. I was working on a job a while back & the building had "brasilian cherry" floors, which were pretty soft for a tropical hardwood. I left one afternoon & when I came in the next morning there were tracks pressed into the floor by the super expensive heavy duty 4 wheeled appliance truck. You could look at the floor in the light from the windows across the room & see how they came into the place, where they went into a room & backed out to turn, then the turn into the kitchen.
    Now, granted, these 2 likely would have gotten the fridge into the house with a hand truck but I do wonder what the damage to the deck stairs & the doorsills would have been.
    If you thought Brasilian Cherry was bad you should try to traverse a kitchen floor made of cork. A 7000 sq ft 3 story house with only 1 bed room if you can imagine. built entirely by the homeowner and his wife, plumbing, electrical and my elevator excluded. Richard and I hauled his wife's new 35 cubic foot commercial refrigerator up the elevator I had made and installed for them to their 3rd floor kitchen. First we laid down furniture blankets then put 3/4inch plywood on top of them . as the fridge weighed over 500 lbs, we figured it would be better not to use a dolly but roll the fridge on its own wheels the only thing is they don't swivel. Ever try to turn something like that on wheels that don't swivel? I can tell you not fun Might have been worth laying some sheets of 10 ga steel on top of the plywood if we had, had any.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drivermark View Post
    I watched two appliance delivery guys drop off a new fridge to a neighbor across the street a couple of months ago, up two sets of exterior stairs, five steps each and into a doorway with barely an inch on each side.

The guys had a wide strap each and the two door fridge looked like it was floating perfectly above the ground all the way in.

I wish I recorded it.

Thanks
    Should have been packed in a wooden box and delivered with a truck crane. The two delivery guys are risking low back injury.

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Too bad the clip cut off before they picked it up, managed to get it up the steps the second time and tried to convince the customer it was damaged in shipping to the warehouse and was not their fault nor responsibility. 😉

Thread Information